2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Low Fuel Psi Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 PM
t102ati
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Fuel Psi Problem

like to say great job guys with the site. all the feedback from all of you, that makes this place rock!!!.
i have a 2002, 2.0l neon se manual tranni. my problem is, the the engine starts after the 2nd or 3rd crank. let me explain more. i recently changed the fuel pump on my neon. the pump is oem. i purchesed the replcement pump form auto zone. its not the complete kit ( the complete pump) like the one that is sold at the dealer. i did some checking and found out that the psi in the fuel line is a 0 when the car is off. iknow there should a a min 5 psi in the line when the car is off. when the engine is in crank mode i can see the psi rising with the fuel guage attached to the rail.
buy the 2nd or 3rd crank the psi is at 15 psi the the car starts with no problem and runs fine. some thing is causing the fuel line to discharge whe the car is not in use. i thought it could be a computer problem. scaned and reset the computer. but still the same even bought a new fuel cap. still them. people tell me its the fuel regulator. maybe so, but would it cause the fuel line to discharge. well hope to hear from you guys soon. thanks will be in touch.....

Old 09-21-2009, 04:40 PM
ScottyP

sounds like there is a drain back valve in the pump that is sticking open does the fuel pressure drop as soon as you shut down the engine or does it take a long time to lose fuel pressure? also when the engine is running does it run as is should or is it running rough?

Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 PM
neisg1
Veteran

Here's what the manual says.

DESCRIPTION
A combination fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator is used on all gas powered engines. It is located on the top of the fuel pump module. It contains a diaphragm, calibrated springs and a
fuel return valve. The internal fuel filter is also part of the assembly.
OPERATION
Fuel Pressure Regulator Operation: The pressure regulator is a mechanical device that is calibrated to maintain fuel system operating pressure of approximately 400 kPa ±34 kPa (58 psi ±5 psi.) at the fuel injectors. Fuel is supplied to the filter/regulator by the electric
fuel pump through an opening tube at the bottom of filter/regulator. The fuel pump module contains a check valve to maintain some fuel pressure when the engine is not operating. This will help to start the engine. If fuel pressure at the pressure regulator exceeds
approximately 58 psi, an internal diaphragm closes and excess fuel pressure is routed back into the tank through the pressure regulator.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 AM
ScottyP

according to what neisg1 has posted i seem to think that your regulator/fuel filter unit is bad.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM
t102ati

thanks for the feedback, the psi on the fuel line startes to drop slowly after the the engine is off. it takes about 40 min to an hour for the line to be a 0 psi. when the engine is running the psi is at 50 and the car works fine no problems. when the engine has cooled down and the engine is in crank mode. the engine will turn over when the fuel rail at the injectors is about 15 psi. then the engine will stay running till the next time the engine is shut down and cooled off. its a pain in the butt having to crank the engine 2 or 3 times to start. well guys, thanks for tips will take a look at this fuel pump. worst case i will just buy a new and complete fuel pump the car will some how make up for it..... thanks big help!!! will post the results on this fuel pump saga.

Quick Reply: Low Fuel Psi Problem