Slipping transmission and leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Temp --> Temp Gauge.

Working --> Your transmission shifts the way it should and the temps are correct.

Perma-Cool says the 1010 is for compact cars. I'd imagine it would work fine. I have only made the recommendations based on what the manufacturer's website says, including what I plan on doing.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:02 PM
lilreddakota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darthroush
More expensive than just getting a trans cooler sounds like, but that is pretty cool that there is that option too if you need/want a new radiator as well.
If the cooler is just cracked inside radiator you could just bypass it and add an external unit. This would also require plugging lines at cooler. If the fittings are leaking or stripped out you are kinda dead in the water without a new radiator.

Yes, this is a cool option, it's too bad it wasn't that way from the factory. This wouldn't be a topic of discussion then would it?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:13 PM
mjj1587
Rookie

i didnt read the whole thread but it sounds like you bought this car from a dealer not too long ago? I would take the car back to them and tell the bastards to fix it! lol

Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 PM
lilreddakota
Rookie

Originally Posted by Franklinnn
i was thinking there was some parts in the OEM than the aftermarket.. what about a filter or a temp gauge?
A temp gauge could be plummed into cooler line with a T-fitting with an electric sender wired to a gauge.
You could plum the cooler lines to a filter housing to add an external filter and some filter housings have threaded ports that could be used for temp sender. I would guess the added fluid capacity would add some cooling benefit as well. I don't see what could be gained by this in normal operation unless you put a drain plug in the trans pan and didn't change the filter in the trans. This is more of a screen than a filter a think anyway. If the external filter had a small enough micron rating and you planned on driving A LOT of miles this might be worth it.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:12 PM
TylerJCooper

Hey guys,

New to the forum and not the most mechanically inclined. However, I have just had the same problem happen to my 02 Neon. The tran started slipping and wouldn't engage until 2K RPM. I limped it home and found no transmission fluid. I put a quart into it, which seemed to top it off. Tried to drive it around the block and it was out again. This morning I put another quart in it, started it, and when I put it in drive, I watched it all come out of the radiator overflow.

Can you guys help me, but giving me a couple step by steps of what I need to do?

Very Grateful,
Tyler

Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Franklinnn
Rookie

Originally Posted by TylerJCooper
Hey guys,

New to the forum and not the most mechanically inclined. However, I have just had the same problem happen to my 02 Neon. The tran started slipping and wouldn't engage until 2K RPM. I limped it home and found no transmission fluid. I put a quart into it, which seemed to top it off. Tried to drive it around the block and it was out again. This morning I put another quart in it, started it, and when I put it in drive, I watched it all come out of the radiator overflow.

Can you guys help me, but giving me a couple step by steps of what I need to do?

Very Grateful,
Tyler
Sounds like your clutch disks on almost out, and will probably need a transmission rebuild, and when you do, ask whoever does it to use anything that keeps the transmission fluid away from the engine coolant so they cannot mix, you may need a new radiator as well from the sounds of it.

Quick Reply: Slipping transmission and leaking coolant