2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Slipping transmission and leaking coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
ksiiqtaboo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping transmission and leaking coolant

Hi i just bought an 04 SX 2.0 and within an hour of owning the vehicle the coolant started to leak. after i noticed the leaking coolant the transmission started to slip. when i looked at the coolant it was a brown muddy colour could it be possible that my transmission fluid is mixing with my engine coolant and making the transmission slip?

Old 09-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Not likely. It is likely that your engine oil is mixing with you coolant, as the coolant should be green in color.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:19 AM
ksiiqtaboo
Rookie

but what would cause the slipping transmission? i only had the car for an hour off the lot then this problem happened. also the engine coolant smells horrific i know what it smells like when a car overheats but this smell is 10 times worse... any ideas?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

hmmm... big red flag!... don't know if this is the same or might help you....

Just had trans problem on my 04 SE.. auto trans..

keep in mind, this happened all of a sudden, had no warning, but appearantly, it is a problem that happens more than just rarely...

On the way to work, all of a sudden the trans starts slipping... pulled over and shut down...noticed trans fluid pouring out underneath... had it towed to the dealer

The trans cooler is appearantly located in the bottom part of the radiator. There are o-rings for the trans fluid hoses that are prone to failure. Thats what mine did, causing coolant to get in the trans and since there was basically too much fluid, it started pouring out the trans overflow.

Had to replace the radiator, torque converter and have the trans re-built...cost over $2k!

Old 09-29-2009, 03:16 AM
ksiiqtaboo
Rookie

Thanks it happened to be the rad blew and all the lines blew as well. Just had to replace the rad and flush the tranny thank god. Other than that everything seems to be ok.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:21 AM
mjs182004
Veteran

FYI you will be rebuilding your tranny soon. Once the two fluids mix the clutch discs inside the tranny will wear down to nothing (the coolant destroys the surface of the clutch discs) resulting in transmission failure. and the coolant should be a orangish pink color, NOT GREEN

Old 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL, green coolant (G-05) is just fine, and is still probably the best coolant you can buy IMO. I have it in all of my vehicles and they are just fine. Whatever you do, do not put Dex-Cool in anything you drive.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:55 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

That too. Cannot find it around here. Believe one is better for a certain area/climate than the other.

Did not see where the atx was specified. There is a way to adjust the bands of an mtx. Did it with the atx in my daytona before it lost reverse without warning. I did flush the fluid a few month prior to this, and cleaned off the magnet in the drain pan. Not many seem to know this, but the atx drain pan must be removed to drain the fluid. There is a dohnut shaped magnet in the pan that collects metal shavings, to prevent transmission failure. I'd drain mine two to three times a year. There is also a filter inside held by two torx bolts (#27 ?).

Sounds like your transmission is on the way out. Time to look for a rebuild, or go manual. Cost is relatively the same anyway.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 AM
mjs182004
Veteran
Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Franklinnn
Rookie

oh no...

i have seen a little bit of coolant beneath my car, time for new O rings? or is it too late?

or what should i be looking for to avoid this disaster?

Like what colors should be where? ahaha

Quick Reply: Slipping transmission and leaking coolant