2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM
cassidy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting

Wife was driving her 04 sxt home tonight and said that she was driving down the road normally and the engine was reving higher than normal. She said that she thought she was in the wrong gear but she looked and it was in the correct gear. She left work and was going up a hill directly after turning onto that road, and the car was stone cold and it is getting cold around here. After stopping at a light she said it acted normally, do these cars hold a gear longer when cold to help speed warm up?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on the temperature of the transmission, it will only use/allow certain gears. Sounds normal thus far anyways

Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

It sounds pretty normal to me as well. The hill will most likely make the car downshift or keep it at a higher rpm until you get by the hill or ease off the gas. I have to downshift all the time to keep my car going a constant speed. There are a lot of big hills around here.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:55 AM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-Yep. Mine won't shift into overdrive until the tranny warms up a bit, even on level ground. It might take a couple miles if it gets really cold out. Done it ever since we bought the car with 19k on it.

L8R,
Matt

Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Franklinnn
Rookie

I remember reading in the repair guide that the engine temprature has a huge impart too.

like it had a chart, and around cold temps there is a hard shift between 2 and 3, but just keep your eyes open for slipping transmission.

Quick Reply: shifting