2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 SXT leaks and gas meter reading

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Zyks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 SXT leaks and gas meter reading

The tank is supposed to be 12.5 gallons and everytime I pump the gas when the meter reads close to Empty but I only pumps about 8 gallons.
It makes me think that my tank is only 8 gallons size. I didn't dare to drive it when it's pointing Empty to test whether the meter is broken.

Any recommendation?

Also, my car started to leak some reddish oily fluid since the 0 degree F hit this town. This is my first winter with this car so I'm not sure if it happens every winter or some parts just failed. I'm not sure what it is, but since it is oily, I am guessing Transmission fluid or power steering fluid.
It leaks down at the pan(not sure what it's called) near somewhere near the front passenger seats there.
Please let me know how to fix it!

I apologize for poorly putting all these words together.

Thank you in advance.

Edit:
Also, I find that my antifreeze level is low and the color of my antifreeze is red. According to the Owner's manual, Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 5year/100,000 Mile Formula HOAT is the one to go, but I can't find it in anywhere in town(by searching online). Do you guys use this, if not, I just bought a Prestone Extended Life All Makes All Models. Does it gonna work? I have heard people saying that mixing color of antifreeze is bad for the engine. Any suggestion?

Last edited by Zyks; 01-11-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Neon gas tank is 12.5 gallons. I run my gauge into the red and end up with a bit over 10 gallons being pumped in. If you are filling up a bit above E, then it sounds about right. Most tanks have a "reserve" of a couple of gallons that you won't get to until it is very, very low.

Both the transmission (obviously) and the P/S use ATF+4 fluid. The steering rack is right below the firewall, which is where it sounds like you are describing. The transmission is off to the side, but again, I'm not sure exactly where you are talking about. Which fluid is getting low, transmission or P/S (assuming they are check often enough to notice which it is)?

The coolant issue, with it being red, is one of two things. Someone used the incorrect type of coolant for the car, or your antifreeze mixture is mixing with the transmission fluid, which means your transmission will be on it's way out the door soon.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:01 AM
Zyks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think it didn't read it right. I pumped gas when the gauge is at the middle of the red, and it still reads about 8gallons +

I thought the default coolant used in this car is Mopar and it is red color?
Would there be any problem if I add the Prestone Extended Life for All Makes All Models into the coolant tank?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:40 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I say into the red, I mean at the bottom. I usually drive for a day or two in the red, depending where I'm going.

I thought the Mopar stuff was the yellow? Glycol coolants are usually green or yellow, yellow being extended life. IDK, it may be red. Usually the red-color coolants are DEXCOOL or a HOAT equiv. (Zerex), both of which should be avoided. If that is the case, correct, do not mix them. The DEXCOOL is basically a GM coolant, as far as American cars go. A glycol and OAT/HOAT mixed will form sludge in the cooling system. If I ever bought car with orange/red coolant, it would be changed ASAP. If you don't know what fluid it is, you should change it anyways so you do know what it is. I'd flush the system and refill with a glycol coolant; the Prestone Extended Life you mention, for example.

Quick Reply: 2003 SXT leaks and gas meter reading