2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 Blinker Shorting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:27 AM
daveyg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Blinker Shorting?

Car is a 2003 Neon R/T, manual trans, with approx 70K miles. The rear right blinker sometimes does not work, and the front acts as though the rear bulb is burned out, but the filament is in good shape. No blown fuses in fuse block. I have read on here from a search that it may be perhaps the turn signal switch? Any other possibilities? Would that be the switch that is in the steering column? Thanks alot, DaveyG

Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That would be in the MFS in the steering column. Not a cheap fix if that switch is the problem.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:28 PM
daveyg
Amateur

Not cheap as in the part costs an arm and a leg? Or not cheap as in a shop would charge $900 to take the steering wheel off? Cuz I can do just about anything repair-wise, as long as it doesn't take more than a weekend, as this is my DD. Would I need to take the wheel off or could it be accessed by just removing the upper and lower plastic column covers? Thanks alot for your input, DaveyG

Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

If it sometimes works it is a high possibility that it is the multi function switch.

Did you check all the connections on the bulb pigtails to make sure they are clean and tight?

Does the switch click when you activate the turn signal?

Can you hear the blinker relay making noise when the switch is activated and the signal isn't lit?

Have you upgraded any of your lighting to led? (brake lights, parking lights)

I need a little bit more info to isolate your problem.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 PM
daveyg
Amateur

Yes it clicks when it comes on, as well as the front light bulb is working fine, but will blink twice as fast as usual as if the rear light is burned out. The connectors are all clean and tight, the blinker on indicator light in between the gauges works fine, just rapid.
By blinker relay sounding, do you mean the rapid tick-a, tick-a, tick-a indicating that the blinker switch is on? Because yes, that is working, just at the usual rapid pace of a burned out blinker.
No LEDs at all anywhere.
If it's the multifunction switch, could I just get a junkyard one? Or are they commonly bad at ~70K miles? How much would a new one cost from a Dealer? Is it a matter of taking the switch apart and cleaning or resoldering something? Thanks for your input, DaveyG

EDIT: Just to clarify, it started like 2 weeks ago, and only did it 1-2 times one day, then worked perfectly fine until last night and all day today, where it has had the problem consistently.

Last edited by daveyg; 02-08-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

Since it would be less than $10 bucks, I recomend you go out and get a new white 3157 bulb and a new amber 3157 bulb, its the only things that causes fast flash other than a loose ground on the connector.

Last edited by srtgtr34; 02-08-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:03 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could get one from a junkyard, if you can find one there. In my area, there aren't any Neons around in pick-n-pulls. They are very expensive from a dealer.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:15 AM
daveyg
Amateur

The bulbs are good. The front amber one illuminates perfectly fine and the rear one has a good filament and shows a closed circuit on a tester, on both elements. There are a few local yards here with newer Neons, I'll check around and see if I can find one with a MFS.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
SnailNeon
Rookie

Have you tried a new bulb yet? Honestly, I had this issue about 4 months ago. The front would blink twice as fast, so I went out and got a new rear bulb. On my way home from Pepboys, the turn signal was fine, three days later it was acting up again, all the while the bulb "looked" good. I replaced it and no problems at all. It's $4, and if it isn't what you need, take it back and get a refund on the bulbs.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

This problem has nothing to do with the mfs switch unless the signals on the cluster doesn't light up. If the cluster getting the signal than the mfs is fine.

Please don't go out and buy a part you don't need. Just because the filaments look ok, it doesn't mean that there isn't anything wrong with the bulb. With the computers in modern cars, they detect the slightest difference in voltage from these bulbs which activates the fast flash, to tell you a bulb is going out or is starting to show signs of going bad.

Quick Reply: 2003 Blinker Shorting?