2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Have you guys changed your timing belt/water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:12 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nike10622
* fuel Filter
* Timing Belt, Tensioner, Bracket, Waterpump, etc... (BOLTS?)
* access belt
* thermostat
* engine Dampeners
* right motor mount
* access tensioner
* cabin filter
* cam seal
* front main seal

Am I missing any of the big stuff? I'd like to buy everything and have it all ready just in case. Is there a place to buy new bolts for the motor mounts/dampeners, the tensioner, etc...? I'm going to work on finding out all of the necessary tq specs and such - I'm hoping to not have to buy a Haynes. I may decide to go as far as to make a little DIY on the process.
Not sure what an "access" belt is (accessory maybe)? There are two belts if you are talking about the accessory ones. Neon's don't have cabin filters unless you make one. You could buy torque strut inserts. Those will help improve life a lot. If you really want new bolts, you'll want to find an engine hardware kit. Better safe than sorry, get a T-Stat gasket. I can e-mail you torque tables if you want.
Originally Posted by Nike10622
Sorry to almost be nearly spamming in this thread now, but I was also wondering, what's the news on transmission fluids for the manual trans? I searched and I'm not sure if I was reading about auto or manual trans in some instances, but I read there's no drain plug or fill plug? I also couldn't find anything about what fluid is best (thinking Redline or something like that). Any information on that would also be great . Just trying to get it all squared away! Thanks again
I believe they say ATF+4 as well. There are probably better fluids you could use. They probably just put ATF+4 in the manuals as well to save costs by only having to buy one fluid. There is usually always a fill and drain plug on manuals. For automatics, you have to remove the pan to drain (you'll have to remove it to change the filter on a manual anyways) and fill through the dipstick tube.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
KZ1000P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'98 Dodge Caravan; original timing belt broke while driving at high speed on the highway (just died, coasted to a stop) at 94,215 miles in July, 2004 (so it lasted about 7-years, 94 k miles) - mostly highway miles, but in Arizona - high ambient temps; no engine damage; did not replace water pump. (Owned the vehicle since Jan-1999; bought used.)

Water pump started leaking and was replaced (along with another timing belt) at 148,514 miles (April, 2008).

Today's cost for timing belt replacement only (Dodge dealer) is $380 out the door (cheaper than non-dealer service); but timing belt plus water pump is $800 out the door (same Dodge dealer); asked why so much additional and dealer says there is a lot of added work to change the water pump.

I'm figuring I can go 90,000 miles on the replaced timing belt; and as I got 148 k on the original water pump, may or may not change them both then (should be around Jan-2015, 238 k miles before I need to make the decision). Vehicle has 175,000 miles on it now. Also own a 2007 Dodge Caravan (with lifetime "maintenance" (just oil changed, and then only every 5,000 miles) and lifetime drive-train warranty - which is no longer offered).

Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 PM
The Old Guy
Amateur

My '05 has 78k on it and from the looks of the DYI link there is no way I'm going to do it. So the question is what is the cost of a repair shop doing this?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:50 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Depends what a shop charges per hour. If they charge $60/hr, you are looking at probably about $180-$220 labor plus parts. It should be about a 3-3.5 hour job for a shop.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Parts will be around $150 ish

Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can get the complete kit from RockAuto for $100

Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Moparkyle
All Star

Ooooooooo complete kit meaning waterpump included??

Old 06-04-2010, 01:46 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Mhm. Waterpump, tensioner (w/o bracket) and a Gates belt.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:12 AM
SofaKingWeToddDid

Hi, my name is Clinton and i would first off like to say Thank You to whoever posted and wrote that timing belt write up. im not the fastest mechanic in the world. lol especially since im doing this on the floor and for the first time! but ive been at it for a few hours today and ive got it all apart now. got the water pump in, and realized i have a misfortunate neon and need to trim my belt cover to clear the newer tensioner. so i took a break to have a rye n coke while i sit and relax and come up with a game plan to trim the shield before tonite is over, its 10pm and i work tomorrow. the goal is to get the timing belt on and tight so tomorrow i just have the cover (which i cracked and will fix at work lol) then that pain in the *** huge ?aluminum? bracket and u know the rest. its all going smoothly now that i got the pulley off -and that bracket previously mentioned.
Thanks again, Clinton.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:13 AM
SofaKingWeToddDid

oh but for some fun, i helped my friend get his RT swapped into an SRT4 a month ago! that was fun!

Quick Reply: Have you guys changed your timing belt/water pump?