2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

'03 neon making me SHATTERED..plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 PM
neon marine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 neon making me SHATTERED..plz help!

I have a '03 dodge neon stx, mileage 75,000. my check engine light came on around six months ago! sooo i checked replaced the ignition coil,spark plugs, n spark plug wires. then the light manages to come on every month. the mechanic changed my coil,spark plugs, n spark plug wires again! the car runs fine for a couple days, but then acts up again. this time the engine light began to flash n the car starts to loose power when idling. it does not cut off though, but when i accelerate it has lack of power. when i open the hood the engine is going crazy. soo i take it to the mechanics, he said that the 2nd cylinder is not getting the correct amount of compression. that it needs to be checked. however, i wanted to get a second look so i took it to another mechanic n he showed me 4 different codes! 1.PO441 evaporative emission system incorrect purge flow, 2.PO300 random misfire detected, 3. PO352 ignition coil B primary/secondary circuit, 4. P2305 ignition coil B secondary circuit. He said that it could be a problem with the EGR SLAVE VALVE SOLINOID SERVO SOLINOID and EGR valve. i dunno who may be right. i am hoping nothing is wrong with the cylinder. Can someone plz help! this problem has been going on for tooo long. thank u

Old 06-05-2010, 08:51 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the second generation Neon section,
FF

Last edited by 1969CoronetR/T; 06-05-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: added generation
Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The P0441 code won't do anything to the car other than make the CEL come on and cause it to fail a smog check. Something that should be fixed, but nothing that will cause the havoc you describe.

P0300 is a random or multiple-cylinder misfire, as stated. It could come from one of these (from http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300):
  • Faulty spark plugs or wires
  • Faulty coil (pack)
  • Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
  • Faulty fuel injector(s)
  • Burned exhaust valve
  • Faulty catalytic converter(s)
  • Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
  • Faulty camshaft position sensor
  • Defective computer

P0352 is a coil pack code, to sum it up. You could have a bad one (Parts can be DOA. Just because you got a new one, unfortunately, doesn't mean it works correctly 100% of the time) or the connectors/wiring could be bad or damaged. Those are probably two of the more common causes.

P2305 could be caused by:
  • Intermittent condition
  • Spark plug
  • Ignition wire
  • Ignition coil operation
  • Ignition coil driver circuit open
  • Coil control circuit shorted to ground
  • PCM
  • (A142) ASD relay output circuit
  • Ignition coil

So, three out of the four codes you have will cause your car to run poorly, and all three list the coil pack as a possible cause. That to me, would be the first thing I thoroughly go over. Three problems with one common possible cause. Again, the coil pack itself could be bad. The connector that plugs into the coil pack could be dirty, not seated correctly (they usually have some sort of gasket around the inside to keep water/moisture out; maybe that isn't seated correctly causing the connector to not seat correctly. When the car acts up, see if pushing the connector into the coil pack with your hand makes the engine idle correctly (making the connector seat correctly by force). Maybe wiggle the wires around a bit or gently push/pull on them at the connector when it is acting up. Just some quick ideas to try and narrow it down). The coil pack wiring leads to the PCM, IIRC. Trace that wiring as far as you can and see if a wire is broken, frayed, has damaged shielding/casing (the colored plastic around the actual wires), or touching metal causing it to ground out. If the computer were bad, I'd think you would have many more problems than what you do now; which again, would narrow it down to the coil pack circuit IMO until proven otherwise.

In my opinion, you have taken it to two mechanics who are looking to make some money, at this point based on the codes, by fixing something that isn't the problem...at least in my eyes, thus far.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:03 PM
neon marine

Originally Posted by darthroush
The P0441 code won't do anything to the car other than make the CEL come on and cause it to fail a smog check. Something that should be fixed, but nothing that will cause the havoc you describe.

P0300 is a random or multiple-cylinder misfire, as stated. It could come from one of these (from http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300):
  • Faulty coil (pack)
  • Burned exhaust valve
  • Defective computer

P0352 is a coil pack code, to sum it up. You could have a bad one (Parts can be DOA. Just because you got a new one, unfortunately, doesn't mean it works correctly 100% of the time) or the connectors/wiring could be bad or damaged. Those are probably two of the more common causes.

• Intermittent condition
  • Spark plug
  • Ignition wire
  • PCM
  • Ignition coil

So, three out of the four codes you have will cause your car to run poorly, and all three list the coil pack as a possible cause. That to me, would be the first thing I thoroughly go over. Three problems with one common possible cause. Again, the coil pack itself could be bad. The connector that plugs into the coil pack could be dirty, not seated correctly (they usually have some sort of gasket around the inside to keep water/moisture out; maybe that isn't seated correctly causing the connector to not seat correctly. When the car acts up, see if pushing the connector into the coil pack with your hand makes the engine idle correctly (making the connector seat correctly by force). Maybe wiggle the wires around a bit or gently push/pull on them at the connector when it is acting up. Just some quick ideas to try and narrow it down). The coil pack wiring leads to the PCM, IIRC. Trace that wiring as far as you can and see if a wire is broken, frayed, has damaged shielding/casing (the colored plastic around the actual wires), or touching metal causing it to ground out. If the computer were bad, I'd think you would have many more problems than what you do now; which again, would narrow it down to the coil pack circuit IMO until proven otherwise.

In my opinion, you have taken it to two mechanics who are looking to make some money, at this point based on the codes, by fixing something that isn't the problem...at least in my eyes, thus far.
Thanks, for the info.yeah that coil pisses me off.literally changed the whole package twice. ill do what u told me.i can not seem to find the EGR valve for the life of me.would u happen to know where to find it.is there a website that would show the locations of parts?i heard that in neons the LDP leak detection pump goes bad? also do u think maybe that when my car engine goes erratic it could be the fuel injectors? thanks again really appreciate the help

Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 PM
neon marine

Originally Posted by darthroush

• Faulty coil (pack)
  • Burned exhaust valve
  • Defective computer

• Intermittent condition
  • Spark plug
  • Ignition wire
  • PCM
  • Ignition coil

oh yeah what would u use to clean the wires that connect to the coil pack? thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

I would just suggest replaces said wires and connector. Corrosion can sometimes be deeper than the eye can see.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 PM
neon marine

thanks, are you talking about the spark plug wires? or the actual connectors that you connect the coil pack to? those can actually be replaced?thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Yes, If you don't know how to do it though I wouldn't do it yourself I would take it to a tech. You cut the wires off the old connector, strip them, solder new connector wires together, or heat-shrink them.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Isakill
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was scanning Alldata and couldn't find any reference to an EGR valve then googled and came up with this link:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...egr-valve.html

In there it states that "No 2nd Gen Neon has an EGR valve".

Just thought i'd throw this wrench in the mix.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to clean wires/contacts, CRC makes an electrical contact cleaner specifically for this.

In the shop manual, if references EGR as: EGR (if equipped). I've never seen one on a Neon. I know they have the LDP (00-02) and NVLD (03-05), I believe.

Quick Reply: '03 neon making me SHATTERED..plz help!