2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

T3/T4 Turbo kit for neon??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:10 AM
SHR3K_32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the dodge caliber 2.4L swap into my dodge neon? Is the caliber 2.4 the same as the neon 2.4?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:36 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

alright as for the ebay kit, they are pure junk! cheap housing on turbos cause the turbos to go very fast, and with a turbo system u need more fuel...

the best bang four ur buck is asp turbo systems, comes with megasquirt and erick can give u any turbo size ur looking for, comes with a COMPLETE kit, nothing u will have to run to the store for... go to aspturbo.com for some info, the best customer service u will every want or need also... but excpect to pay around 3500-4000k on a kit, (balpark) depending on turbo could me more or alittle less...

Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM
SHR3K_32

So the turbo is junk. What about if i buy a different turbo and buy all the peices seperate to do it myself? Im ordering a walbro 255LPH fuel pump. Already have a nice cold air intake. And performance exhaust. Have New plugs and wires coming in the mail. I could order a srt 4 intercooler for around 75 bucks. I would just have to find the turbo and exhaust manifold. Plus all the cuplings and what not. Maybe a new oil pump? Idk if i need that. and a blow off valve. New fuel lines. and maybe new injectors and obviously the control module. What you think about that. Without redoing my engine i can run at 8psi. What else would i need? If thats even a good idea?Let me know what you think? and What kind of turbo do you recommend? Srt 4 turbo?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
dtjackten

well there are many many differnet ways to go about this... you can run a srt turbo and manifold, BUT you will need to find a pritty rare adaptor plate to convert sohc head to dohc manifold.

or you could go with a differnet turbo/look at asp, depending on power ur looking for and your power curve u would want (top end/low end/ mid, exc), with a internal wastegate/external wastegate... just a normal T3/T4 housing, u can usually find those kinda manifolds that bolt right up on ebay...

as for a fuel system, a welbro pump will be good, and u can then run megasquirt to tune the car and for low boost u can run ms without a return line. so that will shorten the cost significatly....

if you are in a state that has OBD inspection, then u may want to think about running a rising rate fuel reg, that will rise ur fuel pressure as you get into boost, but a map clamp will be needed to trick your computer from seeing boost...

sorry this is all jumbled up, working and foruming..

any other questions feel free... i have done every one of those ways on my car except the srt turbo.... rising rates are a pain in the *** because of keeping a constant base pressure... just an fyi

Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 AM
SHR3K_32

Thanks for all the info dtjackten. Ya i plan on running low boost. Probably gunna keep it under 10psi. Planning on starting at 8psi. I dont want to screw up my engine. I just wanna make sure i do this the right way and dont screw up my whole motor and have to do an engine swap like i didnt want to lol. Im not gunna run more than 8psi untill i rebuild my engine with better components. What i really need is a list of everything ima need to put the turbo in. So basically a small turbo is what i want. But i need to know everything else i need to have so that i dont destroy my motor. And also im looking for the cheapest way to do it, as most anybody would these days. I literaly just decided in this last month i wanted to turbo my car. So i am learning from scratch. I didnt know anything about turbos. So all and any of your help i thank you for.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 AM
SHR3K_32

And if using the adapter plate and that turbo is best. Do you know where i could find one of those adapter plates?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 AM
dtjackten

for an adaptor plate your best bet is to check for sale threads on other forums, SOMETIMES they come up, but expect to pay a good price for one.... money wise that is your cheapest way to go, look for an srt turbo and manifold online, u will also need the oil lines, and cooler lines that come off the turbo. make sure the turbo has little to NO shaft play (no shaft play odviously is better), if they have shaft play stay away from them, they will need a rebuild and can sometimes become very expensive to build depending on shape of the turbine, bearings and exc....

u will also need an intercooler, can find them used off an srt for fairly cheap online, u will need a universal intercooler piping kit, or a srt stock intercooler piping set up (will have to be modified to get to work)

blow off valve, that is up to u what sound u are after, i am running a turbo xs RFL, just because i like to scare people when it blows off, there are lots out there, but dont go with an ebay specail, they are known to leak like a sob over around 5psi of boost.

fuel, THE MOST IMPORTANT PART.... do not cheap on ur fuel system, with out fuel to back up boost the car WILL blow.... i would recommend ms for someone trying to do a cheap build, granted it is around 500-600 dollars for a ms unit that has to be hardwired in the car, but it is much safer than a rising rate fuel reg. there is an extensive amount of reading to run a megasquirt, but it is well worth the headache in using one, plus u will save money by not having to run a return line, because u can add fuel by using ms....

agian feel free to ask any more questions if i did not cover all of it

Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM
SHR3K_32

Not trying to counter you or anything cause obviously you know what your talking about. But i was told you wont need a different fuel pump because the fuel pump thats in the sxt is the exact same thats in the srt 4. And aslo what about a welbro 255LPH?? I was gunna get one of those before someone told me i didnt even need it. ALso how does the blow off vallve work? Where is its placement?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM
dtjackten

like my one post said, DO NOT cheap out of fuel, for 100 dollars on ur fuel pump, for more fuel, do it.... you will thank me later...

i am not sure if u have ever heard a bov before, but if u have you know the sick *** sound it makes? that is extra compact air going into the air.... when building boost your intercooler and piping fills with pressure, that is what is released when you take your foot off the gas.... it is head closed by vaccum and when u let vaccum away from it it blows off.... ahhhh.... i love the sound.... lol

the placement of a bov is off of your intake side intercooler piping, coming from your throttle body to your intercooler, (known as your cold side pipe) you must T off a vaccum line to get the bov to open and close properly. then going to the turbo to the other side intercooler piping is known as your hot side, just an fyi...

trust me i learned just like you did... if you get some time take a look at my progress log.... you will get to see alot of things that i have done, and where i am now, doing ti the right way with ms....

Old 06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
NeonOn19s
Captain

Originally Posted by SHR3K_32
Would the srt 4 turbo work on my car? with the 2.0?
Yes the SRT 4 turbo will work on your car. That is what I have on mine. You will have to find a 2.0 to 2.4 adapter so the exhaust ports will flow right. I"m not sure who still makes them.

Hahn is the best way to go really, they are built for the neon or ASP turbo. Both of these companies will be the easier route. I had to do a lot of modifiying to make it work on my car.

Hope this helps you out

Quick Reply: T3/T4 Turbo kit for neon??