2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

add-on Cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
earlyre
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default add-on Cruise control?

ok. The one complaint i have about my neon, is the lack of cruise. All my Previous vehicles had it, i learned to OVER-use it, to combat my heavy foot.

last feb i bought the '05 SXT from my older brother, who was the original owner. (he no longer found the neon "fun to drive", replaced it with an '06 Mustang) He Bragged about saving $500 on the car by not getting Cruise, he then turned right around and put an Iceman Intake, and 16" wheels off a PT Cruiser on it. then eventually went back to the stock 15's, cuz the 16's were eating up too much of the power

Let's just say the drive from Texas to Ohio, without it, when i am used to using cruise even on some short local trips (to avoid hassle in well known speed traps)was interesting to say the least.

but i digress. how difficult/expensive might it be to install @ this point?
Am i right in assuming that The majority of the wiring would be there, dodge using one standard wiring harness, just need the "peripheral" bits? (control lever, the secondary throttle cablely thingy, speed sensors and what not, etc.) or would this be prohibitively difficult/expensive, etc...

suppose i could call up the local dealership, or a reputable shop, but that would be far to easy. I'll ask the internet!

Last edited by earlyre; 02-06-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's just the extra parts actually needed for the cruise control, as you point out. People find the parts at the junk yard for fairly cheap.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM
earlyre
Professional

yay for standardized wiring harnesses!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

On SXT's anyways...

Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM
earlyre
Professional

ok. for anyone else interested in this project - There is a kit available from your dodge dealer, or online, Part # 82208100AB, emailed both my Local-ish dealers parts depts, from the bigger place:

"Good morning & thanks for your parts request. The speed control kit you’re asking about is available to order & would take 1-3 days to come in. We can install that for you for a total of $380.00 for parts, labor & sales tax. Let me know if you’d like to get the kit ordered or e-mail (or call) if you have any questions. Thanks again & have a good day."
I replied asking for the price of the Kit itself, since it looks pretty straightforward, $249.00

Not heard back from the Smaller dealer yet.
while waiting, did some searching around, to find what parts are in said kit, to see if i could scrounge them @ my local junkyard, and was actually able to find a PDF of the instruction sheet.(link below)
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/pdfs/82208100AB.pdf

still looks like a pretty straight forward install, but messing with that airbag assembly makes me nervous.....

Last edited by earlyre; 02-08-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:46 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Its weird but I have never used my cruise control in my 04 sxt only my husband has . I just like driving without one.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can send it to me if you ever want some weight reduction, lol. I'd LOVE to have cruise control with the amount of long distance driving I do.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 AM
ryman117
Amateur

on this note.... and i dont mean to hijack the thread, but i have cruise and for some reason it doesnt work.... cruise light will turn on. i can set it at a speed but it doesnt maintain set speed.... any ideas.. im gonnna look over everything aside from the internals in the steering wheel but its still quite weird..... any info would be helpful....

Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vacuum leak? Check some stuff over and start a new thread if you need to.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM
gcretro

So did you guys actually get parts for cruise control in the junk yard.

I might go to one saturday... so just wonder what all I need. Yeah I got that PDF document (but I doubt if all that will be available or be able to locate).

Last edited by gcretro; 02-10-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: add-on Cruise control?