2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2000 Neon Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM
backtalk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Neon Fuel Problem

I sure could use your help and input. My wife and I have a 2000 Neon with just over 125K on it. The car starts and runs like the day it was new but just here in town. When we get it out on the hiway it will run the 65 mph speed limit just great but only for about 10 miles. Then it runs out of gas and stalls. The engine light comes on at that point. I can pull over and turn the key and it will start right up but lurches and stalls again. If we wait for the car to cool it runs fine again but only for about 10 miles. Once I get it turned around and head back home it clears up and will run here in the city like a champ. Here is what I have done: Replaced the in tank fuel pump/filter. It still does it. Added a can of 444 and ran it threw a tank and still does it. Replaced the fuel pump relay. I had it hooked up to read the codes at the parts store and only 2 things came up. The ignition coil and a camshaft resistance sensor. I replaced the coil pack, and it still does it. I have done a complete tune up with new plugs and air cleaner but have not changed the plug wires. Still does it. I am not sure what the camshaft resistance sensor is for but it's not too hard to get to. Is there a chance that this is what it is? These are the only 2 codes that come up, everything else looks good. Any ideas what else I can do or look for? I really don't have the money to take it to a shop and I don't have any way to check fuel pressure and the like. Please help if you can.
My best, Jess

Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A bad camshaft sensor will cause the engine to run incorrectly, if at all. That sensor tells the computer "where" the camshaft is. If it doesn't know, it'll shut the engine off to prevent damage.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
backtalk

Originally Posted by darthroush
A bad camshaft sensor will cause the engine to run incorrectly, if at all. That sensor tells the computer "where" the camshaft is. If it doesn't know, it'll shut the engine off to prevent damage.
I'm confused. Does that mean since it does run here in town that the sensor is ok, or do you think it should be changed?
Thank you for the fast come back.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 PM
backtalk

I just got back from having the codes read on the car. The only code that shows up is: P1391.That is the Camshaft Position Sensor and the timing belt has either stretched or jumped.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:36 PM
backtalk

If the timing belt jumped or stretched it wouldn't run at all would it? The Cam Sensor is on the block right beside the battery. The pig tail that goes into the sensor is all messed up where over the years battery acid has covered the wires and sensor. That can't be good.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Right now, with that code and you saying the wiring is all messed up...replace that wiring. A bad sensor and/or wiring will cause all sorts of problems, up to an including, not running. I believe that there is a "kit" you can buy from the dealer for that repair...I think showsxt bought it?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM
backtalk

Originally Posted by darthroush
Right now, with that code and you saying the wiring is all messed up...replace that wiring. A bad sensor and/or wiring will cause all sorts of problems, up to an including, not running. I believe that there is a "kit" you can buy from the dealer for that repair...I think showsxt bought it?
I just bought the sensor and it came with a new pig tail.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 PM
backtalk

I got the new sensor and wireing replaced. I'll take it for a run in the AM. Does the battery need to be disconected for a period of time to reset the computer? It started right up and the check engine light is out. Also one of the codes I got said stretched timming belt or timming belt jumped. How can that be. It wouldn't even start if that were the case would it?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Generally if the negative cable is disconnected for about 10 minutes, that is ample time for the computer to clear codes. The timing belt can jump, but let's see if the sensor fixed the problem first.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:57 PM
backtalk

The sensor wasn,t it. Stalled out and ran out of gas at the same spot. Exactly 12.7 miles on the interstate. Get it back to town and runs like the day it was new.

Quick Reply: 2000 Neon Fuel Problem