2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Fuse 21/ASR keep blowing! WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Icon_xof
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buss bars? Hmmm....maybe if something's shorting out on it. I should have time today to figure out how to get the PCM open so I can check it out.
It wasn't moisture from the wet roads. They were dry last night on my way into work and I went through 5 fuses in whats normally a 30min trip.
During my lunch, I let it idle in neutral for 20mins and the fuse didn't blow.
Before I came to work last night, I set up my UltraGauge so I could monitor the voltage going to o2-1 and o2-2 (which I assume are the high and low o2 sensors). I noticed that the voltage going to o2-2 stay pretty consistint, anywhere from .650v-.780v from what I've observed, but whatever it's at it usually stays at that value for a few minutes at a time. o2-1, however, is very erratic, ranging from .005v to .800v and will bounce anywhere in that range in a second, and does so constantly. Every second the ultragauge updates and every time o2-1 is a very different number than it was the previous second. Is it normal for the top o2 sensor to have such a varying voltage? And if that's indicative of a bad sensor, shouldn't my check engine light come on or at least throw a code?
Also, I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but there were two small electrical issues with this car when I got it: 1)The 6-cd changer doesn't work. The lights just flash. and 2)The switch for the fog lights doesn't set in enough for them to turn off. If I press on it, even very lightly, they'll shut off, but only while I'm holding it. I don't know if these issues are related or not.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:09 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The voltage may be changing as the exhaust gas may not be the exact same every second? The O2 sensors do operate in a "range." The ASD just has so much connected to it, you are just going to have to look over everything unfortunately. There isn't a direct, exact fix like simply replacing a sensor.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Icon_xof
Rookie

Right on man. That's what I'm hearing from others who seem to know their stuff about neons. Tomorrow I'll break out the Haynes and get to it. I'll let you know what I find...

Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Icon_xof
Rookie

I found it. According to the diagrams in my Haynes manual, the only things directly wired to the ASD besides the fuse are the PCM and the Alternator. The ASD interacts with everything else via the PCM. So I started at the Alternator and traced the wires up to the PCM and I found where the short was. The loom with the alternator wire in it had been pinched against the front of the tranny when the previous owner wrecked it. The shop that fixed it must have missed it. So I opened the loom, then spliced, soldered, and taped the damaged wires, and now it's all good =] Thanks for the help Darthroush.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:33 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice find! Congrats on the fix!

Quick Reply: Fuse 21/ASR keep blowing! WTF?