2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Do you have to change spings with struts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by showsxt
I have some friends that work in a tire shop /suspension .and an some family members that have their own shops so yes I do understand and been around suspension of vehicles my whole life and Im 36 which is older than most on this forum. Why explain anything to you when you just rude to everyones thread almost.

I only question people that tell flat out untruths!

springs do not wear out the strut/shock.

you said "I have seen it happen on alot of cars and trucks ..." I highly doubt you have ever seen old springs on new struts wear out the strut.

Springs are what controls the ride height. That is correct.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Icon_xof
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, I'm certain you guys are more well versed in anything auto than I am. I'll say that right off the bat. I thought I hated working on cars until I got one I love (my neon) =] But, it seems to me, that if the spring has more tension (less worn out), that it would in turn be able to absorb more of a shock than one with less tension. That would result in slightly less stress on the strut. That makes sense to me anyway. I may be wrong. If I am, then please explain why because now I'm intrigued.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

WHatever to 22 and yeah sounds exactually right icon just what I was trying to say. Darth would know alot better seeing hes are mod and 22 and I arent. Most think springs just lower a vehicle but they do a little more than that they help the struts out springs and struts work hand and hand. But to avoid both I got some bc coilovers to drop my sxt .

Last edited by showsxt; 03-21-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Putting whatever springs were on a car onto new struts doesn't mean that the new strut is going to wear out quicker. If that were the case, you'd either never get a warranty on a new strut unless you bought new springs with it or you'd have to buy a strut/spring combo to ensure best performance/life. Since that isn't the case...

Old 03-22-2011, 03:23 AM
Icon_xof
Rookie

Good call Darthroush (as usual).

Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 AM
22DODGE22

Originally Posted by showsxt
WHatever to 22 and yeah sounds exactually right icon just what I was trying to say. Darth would know alot better seeing hes are mod and 22 and I arent. Most think springs just lower a vehicle but they do a little more than that they help the struts out springs and struts work hand and hand. But to avoid both I got some bc coilovers to drop my sxt .

You obviously have no technical background to support those claims.

the purpose of the springs is to support the vehicle. the purpose of the shock it to control the harmonics of the spring to keep the tire in contact with the road.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Guess you have to see what Im saying to believe it has happened to some of my older cars maybe not my neons but my other vehicles .You guys keep on believeing what your saying until you have seen new struts wear out due to bad springs and sometimes depends where you got the struts from they wont let you have new ones for free with warranty. Darth everything now comes with free warranty from autoparts store or dealer.

Last edited by showsxt; 03-22-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 PM
22DODGE22

I know what you are saying and it has no technical support and is completely false.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:29 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Well it happened to me with my turbo omni and my cobra . learned the smart way and just put new lowering springs with the new struts on my sxt . Why would you want to use your stock springs which dont lower any with new struts anyways. Also why would you want to use old springs with new struts to begin with. Even on a budget If I need new struts Im going to get new springs also just got to cut back on something to get those springs. Not many have technical support on here anyway for prove.

Last edited by showsxt; 03-22-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 PM
22DODGE22

Whatever. if you want to make up bogus info and pass it off as a fact, it should be atleast believable.

Find written documented proof from a shock manufacturer, and then maybe your fantasy will have some meritt.

Quick Reply: Do you have to change spings with struts?