2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Do you have to change spings with struts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said it happened to me may not happen to him just telling him beware . There maybe very few this has happened to maybe not you or darth but there are ones like me that has happened to . Im not giving out false info just true cause it happened to me and others I know. Just casue it never happened to you or you never heard of it happening doesnt mean it is not true.

Last edited by showsxt; 03-22-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Icon_xof
Rookie

lol, you guys crack me up. Thanks for the opinions. I'm just going to reuse the stock springs for now. I really can't budget in new springs at this time or I would. Trust me, if I had the money at my disposal, there's a LOT I would be doing to this car, lol.

And just to be a ***** ( muahaha)...
Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
\\\no, you can reuse the springs, that's why they make a spring compressor to do that job..
They make spring compressors so you don't lose a hand disassembling the strut assembly.
Originally Posted by showsxt
I have seen it happen on alot of cars and trucks if you have new struts and you use your stock older springs than it tends to wear on the new struts . Happened to some of my older vehicles over the yrs .
Unless you purposely and accurately tested the same struts on the same vehicle, driven in the same conditions every time, with different spring sets of varying wear, you can't say this as a certainty.

I'm just pickin on ya'll so don't get your panties in a bunch. I just wanted to get in on the action, lol.
22, you are kind of a ***** though, but I think it's almost endearing
Thanks again for the opinions and entertainment guys.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Yeah I cant so Ill just say that and I never get my panties in a bunch seeing Im a gal and Im also a mod on another neon forum now so I now more than meets the eye about neons . I have had 2 1st gens and 2 2nd gens so pretty not new to neons and thats been since 97.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Icon_xof
Rookie

I have no doubt in your knowledge gal =]
Despite the discrepancies, you three all seem to know your stuff about neons and I'm grateful to have your input.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:24 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

depends where you got the struts from they wont let you have new ones for free with warranty. Darth everything now comes with free warranty from autoparts store or dealer.
I'm not talking about getting new ones for free under warranty. I'm talking about getting a warranty with the new strut without having to buy new springs at the same time. When you buy something from the parts store (struts, in this case), do they require you to buy all new parts that will have anything to do with the new part to get that warranty (springs and tophats for struts)? Another example to help clarify what I'm getting at: say you get a lifetime warranty on a new coil pack. Do they require you to buy new wires and plugs too in order to receive that warranty on the coil pack? If you buy a new cam sensor, do you have to buy a new magnet and wiring? No...

Why would you want to use your stock springs which dont lower any with new struts anyways.
Not everyone wants their car lowered? The majority of people who are going to a parts store for OEM replacement parts are probably not worried about things like performance valving and spring rates.

Last edited by darthroush; 03-23-2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 AM
briann510
Rookie

I used my original springs and the struts came with a lifetime warranty so I'm not worried.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 AM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Icon_xof
lol, you guys crack me up. Thanks for the opinions. I'm just going to reuse the stock springs for now. I really can't budget in new springs at this time or I would. Trust me, if I had the money at my disposal, there's a LOT I would be doing to this car, lol.

And just to be a ***** ( muahaha)...

They make spring compressors so you don't lose a hand disassembling the strut assembly.

Unless you purposely and accurately tested the same struts on the same vehicle, driven in the same conditions every time, with different spring sets of varying wear, you can't say this as a certainty.

I'm just pickin on ya'll so don't get your panties in a bunch. I just wanted to get in on the action, lol.
22, you are kind of a ***** though, but I think it's almost endearing
Thanks again for the opinions and entertainment guys.

you can forget getting any further assistance from me. Calling me names even if you think you are cute is BS. I do not tollerate that!!!! I was trying to save you some money from total CRAP that others where feeding you!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

I know what you were talkin about I was just trying to say if he got new struts and springs for the rear he should do the same thing for the front seeing the front is pretty important. Oh to 22 I dont give out crap info. Oh yeah icon if you reuse your stock springs make sure they are not rusty or binding or they will fail prematurely.

Last edited by showsxt; 03-23-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:10 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do used stock springs bind?

Yes you do give out crap info!!!

Support your statements with documented proof... not your friend that works at an alignment shop... that's not documentation.

Last edited by 22DODGE22; 03-23-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Whatever 22 I dont need no crappy doucumentation seeing it has happend to me and who cares if it never happened to you . icon knows now so he can use his stock springs just as long as they arent crap he should be ok. THis topic is getting old seeing 22 always has to be right.

Quick Reply: Do you have to change spings with struts?