2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

I'm at a loss here :-(

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:51 PM
mypoorneon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm at a loss here :-(

Ok, so I'm about ready to give up haha. I have a 2001 Neon, auto, about 160k, and gold...if that matters. jk

Issues:

Last week, while sitting at a light i noticed my RPM's drop significantly and the car was about to die just before it picked back up again and seemed to run fine but there was a definite "fuel" smell coming from the exhaust....OK.....NOW

Driving home the other day it started acting like it had no power and everytime I gave it gas it wanted to die. If I stopped and didn't continue to give it gas it would die. It will fire right up and idle great for about 5 seconds then it dies again. I can keep it idling if I give it a little gas but it always dies. I was able to get it home, but it spit and sputtered the whole way.

I do know it needs an o2 sensor, but I didn't think that would cause all these problems. After reading some posts here I am kinda thinking the cam position sensor or crank sensor????? My first thought was it acted like it wasn't getting any fuel. OH...cylinder 3 has a bit of oil in it which I read is also sorta common.

I will check the engine codes tonight. but any info in the mean time would be great. Thanks everyone! Save my poor neon from having a random homeless man set it on fire so while I collect the insurance money..oh waite nevermind I would never do that hahaha.

Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 PM
showsxt
Record Breaker

It sounds like the cam or crank sensor also could need new plugs and wires also getting the codes will really help you figure out whats wrong.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

O2 sensors on newer cars do more than a lot of people think. I doubt that is the cause of your problems, but just sayin'.
Get the codes and report back.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Kal13

Sounds like a combination of problems. If it will start and not idle replace your idle air valve. Costs about $70 I think and is real easy to replace. If it loses power under higher rpm then your cam shaft sensor is likely on the fritz. This one is about $250 to have installed at the dealer. Not sure how hard it would be to do yourself, but mine failed an hour from home and kinda left me hangin.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 AM
showsxt
Record Breaker

Cam shaft sensor from autozone is like 25bucks and pretty easy to change yourself.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
mypoorneon

My car is being difficult to the end I swear. I attempted to get the engine codes and it would not give them to me. I tried everything and it would not spit them out. I hopped on the forums and made sure I was doing it right and still nothing. The CEL has been on since this all started so I know there is something there. I am going to try the Cam sensor today assuming my local stores have one in stock. Thanks for the info guys and if I can get my car to make it to Autozone I will see if they can pull the codes and update the thread.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Blubyu

Is there an aftermarket exhaust on there? if not the cat could be clogging... i've had that happen when ur driving and have no power cuz the cat is clogged

Old 03-24-2011, 03:16 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If there is a lot of extra fuel being dumped in, it can damage the cat if it goes on long enough.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
mypoorneon

Alright, so I still can't get my car to throw the engine codes.

It's completely stock, exhaust and all. I did notice today the spitting and sputtering really starts and it wants to die when I reach 30mph. I really have to feather and nurse the throttle to go any faster.

I have tried running fuel injector cleaner a bit higher octane through it and it didn't do anything. I am going to try and drive it to Autozone and hopefully it will throw a code before I get there.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Kal13

Cam sensor.when mine went if I got the rpm's up it would lose power. Had to keep it down to keep going. Restarting the engine should clear it it it isn't too bad.

Quick Reply: I'm at a loss here :-(