2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

engine wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:26 PM
macster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine wont turn over

Just bought 2004 sxt for my daughter, 93,000 miles on it. Car started fine when test driving it, we started it several times before driving it home. On the way home we stopped to eat and it would not start when we left. It turn over once and that was it. I hit the switch several times in a row and it finally started. The next day my daughter drove it everywhere and it started fine all day long. Now today it started fine 4 or 5 times and then it started acting up again. I replaced the starter because everyone was saying that is what it was. Now it will not even turn over. All wires are hooked up right, all fuses are fine, all ground wires are on, what is the problem? We have power to starter, but no power from the ignition switch to the starter. What and where is the ignition module?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:59 PM
macster

car is an automatic, need help bad

Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 PM
chronoboy
Rookie

12 VOLTS
Pink/black wire, Ignition switch harness +

IGNITION,
Blue wire, Ignition switch harness +

ACCESSORY
Black/orange wire, Ignition switch harness +

STARTER
Yellow wire, Ignition switch harness +

KEY SENSE Light blue wire, Ignition switch harness

take off the steering collum cover and check the starter wire "YELLOW" comming off the ignition harness see if when you turn the key if it gets any +/- power with a multi-reader, if not then trace it back from their, check the pink/black wire that is your constant 12v wire see if its got power with the key off if yes then check the ignition and key sense wire with the key turned just anough for accessories to be on. if all that checks good then, last idea would be, did the guy give you two keys? and if yes are you only useing one key? cause if you are not useing a key that is programmed to your car it wont run, but i dont think that is your problem cause i had a copy made for my car and it wasnt programmed and when i went to start the car it would turn over and run for 3 seconds and then die, but you never know.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM
macster

Hey chronoboy, thanks for the info, we will try that next weekend. We bypassed the ignition switch with a push button switch and the car starts right up and runs fine. You have to hold the key as if you were starting it, then push the button, and it fires right up and runs good.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see starter wiring diagram in this thread

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-problems.html

Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Matix151
Rookie

possibly an ignition switch going bad or now is bad. you have power on the starter batt cable right? have you checkd for power on the start terminal while cranking? the S terminal or start terminal is supplied voltage from the ignition switch.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:58 AM
04sled
Banned

I was told that an aftermarket key will do that just 180 the key and try it, my friend works for a honda dealer and told me that cause I just bought a key from e-bay, he said it happens once in a while and so I did not get screwed he said just 180 the key..

Quick Reply: engine wont turn over