2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

05 auto trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:49 AM
ejk52d
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 auto trans issue

Have an 05 sxt auto that when driving will randomly unlock the converter then relock a second later. It does this continually every minute or so when on the interstate or 2 lane, 60 mph or 80mph. No CEL and runs fine otherwise, trans fluid seems clean and proper level.
I would also like to change fluid and filter, is there any band adjustment?

Thanks....Eric

Old 09-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Dodgeboy_47

its a shame that no one has come up with an answer to this question for you! I'm having the exact same issue and it's driving me nuts.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 AM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-Sorry, but I can't help you. My '05 SXT is shifting just fine. Came down to Myrtle Beach from Ohio a couple days ago and just went to Charleston yesterday. 110k on it and she's doing just as good as when I bought it with 19k on it. Hope you find your answer soon though.

L8R,
Matt

Old 09-21-2011, 03:49 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No band adjustments on the electronic transmissions. Perhaps a TCM update is needed? Might talk to the dealership, or a shop that has the DRBIII, about a possible TSB for it.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Dodgeboy_47

Just by coincedence I have the exact same problem that I posted here a couple nights ago. Either what I have going on is intermittent, or I fixed the problem.

When I bought my car used in May `11, I drove it for awhile before I did anything to it. Then one day when I was at Advanced Auto Parts I decided to buy plugs, wires and air filter to do a tune up. I noticed the plug wires were much smaller in diameter than the Mopar wires. I think Mopar uses 8mm (not sure) but these were thin in comparision.

I made a comment to a co-worker several weeks later that it was ironic that the car was getting worse gas mileage since I tuned it up.

After I posted on the tranmission, just for sh*ts and giggles I went to my garage and put the Mopar ignition wires back on. I've driven approx 400 miles since then (alot of commuting) and the tranmission hasn't acted up one time and I already see an increase in how many miles I got out of the tank of gas.

I'm wondering if the aftermarket plug wires were causing a slight misfire that was somehow effecting the engine power enough to cause the tranny to go in and out of L/O? Just speculation on my part, but I can say that the car seems even more responsive now and I'm starting to think it had something to do with ignition. maybe, maybe not .
A few more trips to work will tell.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:13 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

New parts can be bad in the box. Whether that was the cause or solution to your problem...dunno.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:37 PM
ejk52d

Thanks for the replys. I have also done the tune up with aftermarket wires...I thought they were Phelps which are the same as oe. I'll check into that and also see if there are any software updates.
Eric

Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Dodgeboy_47

Update on my possible trans problem. I have noticed that the transmission only appears to have an issue when it is wet or damp out (rain, fog, snow)

The RPM's will raise slightly 100-200 RPM's for no apparent reason. It feels like the Torque Converter lock up is going off and back on. This symptom only seems to happen when it rains or is wet and after it has been dry for a day or two it doesn't happen again unless it gets wet. I'm thinking a loose or corroded wire in the lock up circuit. Not sure where to start looking, but I have the wiring schematics from Alldata, so I guess thats a start. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated!

Old 12-07-2011, 07:22 AM
ejk52d
Default auto trans

My 05 does the same thing only weather doesnt matter. I have heard bad plug wires will do this and not throw a code. Have also heard that only use oem plug wires....

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM
73novass
Rookie

damp weather will effect bad or worn wires, at night pop the hood and look for a light show... aka an ark...

Quick Reply: 05 auto trans issue