2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

power steering feedback question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:17 PM
loserbaby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering feedback question...

I picked up an 03 neon with 77k mi and when turning to the right there is zero resistance, or feedback. When turning to the left, I have what I believe to be "normal" resistance/feedback. It is noticable stopped as well as in motion? I have seen the issues with the pressure switch affecting idle but I am not experiencing any of that.

Any ideas, search didn't show any

Old 10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
loserbaby

problem cannot be that random... I'm considering changing out the rack assy, but would entertain a pressure switch/sensor if I could some how confirm it.

Anybody...?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:42 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-Mine does kind of the same thing. Turning right there isn't hardly any resistance from the wheel. But turning left is feels weighted like normal. There aren't any leaks anywhere from the rack, and the fluid stays at the same level in the reservoir. No idea why it does this, but it has done for quite a while now that I forget about it.

L8R,
Matt

Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM
loserbaby

Yeh, it can't be right. Doesn't bother me, but car is for my 16y/o... "new driver" I would like to fix it....

Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:35 PM
loserbaby

Any other input....?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-Have you found an answer yet?

L8R,
Matt

Old 10-31-2011, 07:23 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-I did some looking around and a worn ball joint was popping up as a possibility. I'll have to change mine anyhow because mine has a bit over 113k on it right now. Already did the tie rods at the beginning of the year, so I might as well do those for peace of mind. It may be a week or two until I get a chance to do it, but I'll let you know if that clears up mine.

L8R,
Matt

Last edited by AnthemBassMan; 10-31-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 PM
loserbaby

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
-I did some looking around and a worn ball joint was popping up as a possibility. I'll have to change mine anyhow because mine has a bit over 113k on it right now. Already did the tie rods at the beginning of the year, so I might as well do those for peace of mind. It may be a week or two until I get a chance to do it, but I'll let you know if that clears up mine.

L8R,
Matt
I appreciate your response, I have not investigated this any further. My Neon had 77k when I picked it up and put 10k on it with no noticeable degradation in the steering response. I have checked tie rod ends, by hand and didn't notice anything. I think this will end up being, a rack problem, but I'm not ready to change it just yet... Open to suggestions.

I doubt we're the only two Neon's experiencing this.

Can anybody confirm if there is only one, or possibly 2 pressure switch's associated with the power steering, direct to the "rack" itself....

Thank's

Quick Reply: power steering feedback question...