2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Heater Problems Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 PM
ramzm
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Problems Please Help!

Today was the first day that was cold enough to use the heater. I turned it on but only warm air was blowing out and when I would come to a stop it would blow cooler air. I checked the coolant level and it is full and the car is NOT over heating. I've also checked the floor board in case the heater core was leaking but the floor boards are not wet. I checked the heater hoses under the hood... the top hose was felt pretty hot but not too hot to hold. The bottom hose was so hot that I could not hold it. What could this mean???

Also my heater controls are operating properly. The temp *** and the vent *** wont go all the way to the left... see picture (that is as far left as those two **** will go). I took the bezel off and pulled the panel out and everything looks fine. I even bought another panel from the wrecking yard and hooked it up and the same thing... those two **** wont move all the way to the left. It appears as the cable is to short but I know that cant be right. Anyone have any idea on what may be causing this or if these two things might be related???

Last edited by ramzm; 10-15-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:52 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That picture isn't working for me. Firefox won't show it period, and in Internet Explorer, I get a long page of a garbled error.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:06 AM
ramzm
Rookie

Originally Posted by darthroush
That picture isn't working for me. Firefox won't show it period, and in Internet Explorer, I get a long page of a garbled error.
Hmm ok well the vent selector will not turn any farther left than the panel/floor selection and the temp selector will only turn to the left about half way through the cold. Does that help dart? Im not sure why the pic isn't showing. I can email or maybe try photobucket??

Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

It's working for me now, but I'm also on a different computer. I don't have access to the manuals on this one, but it sounds like something is binding. Either the cable you are talking about, or one of the gears is. Try taking the white panel out that has the cables/gears on it, put a **** on it and turn. See if you can see if something is catching.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:39 PM
ramzm
Rookie

Originally Posted by darthroush
It's working for me now, but I'm also on a different computer. I don't have access to the manuals on this one, but it sounds like something is binding. Either the cable you are talking about, or one of the gears is. Try taking the white panel out that has the cables/gears on it, put a **** on it and turn. See if you can see if something is catching.
I tried that. there is a clip that stops the tubing around the cable so it can pull the cable through to move the doors. I took the clip and cables off and it turned all the way just fine. I also bought another panel from the wrecking yard and hooked everything up to that and the new panel would stop at the same spots. It doesn't look like the cables are blocked in any way....

Old 10-07-2011, 03:33 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Might be in an impossible to reach spot? I'm not sure where to go from here. Never encountered this problem on any car. Sorry.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:35 PM
ramzm
Rookie

Good news I figured out the heater control issue. I went to the junkyard and looked at another neon and realized the previous owner must have changed out the heater control panel and didn't clip the cable of the wire on the control panel. I fixed this and now i have full function of the controls and the heater blows super hot. Only thing I'm confused about is that if I let the car warm up to operating temperature everything seems fine but then when I start driving and turn the heater on the temperature gauge actually drops... Maybe just a neon thing??? I've never owned a vehicle that the engine temp would drop after driving.

Also, it still blows on the cooler side when at idol, but blows hot now while driving.... not a big deal as long as we are getting heat but would be nice to know that the car will be warm for us when we get in and have enough heat at idol to defrost the windows...

Old 10-22-2011, 04:27 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Sounds like there is still an issue somewhere IMO.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 AM
ramzm
Rookie

**UPDATE**
When I start my car in the morning I let it warm up. Usually when I get in the car its warmed to normal operating temperature. Still very little heat... after I start driving a couple minutes the temperature gauge drops! This makes absolutely no sense to me. Any ideas???
Name:  photo1-1.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  18.3 KB

Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 AM
ramzm
Rookie

I meant to specify... The first pic is temp before driving. The second is after driving... it will eventually go back up to "normal" temp. It sometimes flunctuates but very very little.

We've flushed the Heater Core, changed the Thermostat, coolant is topped off, Heater panel is working fine, I can hear the doors moving when I change the heat control and air flow control... Whats left to check??? Could there be air in the system? If so how do I bleed the air out? I'm not sure where to go from here

Quick Reply: Heater Problems Please Help!