2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Bad Shaking or Vibrating While At Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bad Shaking or Vibrating While At Idle?

We all seem to have a problem with bad shaking and/or vibrations at idle after we have replaced our engine mount with a non-OEM mount. There have been people who have tried to figure out a work-around and a fix. Yet, there never seems to be a tried and true solution. Perhaps this is why?

I PM'ed user DodgeCares on here, and he looked something up for me.

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Originally Posted by darthroush
Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Good afternoon,

I was wondering if it would possible to find out some information about a specific part. We in the Neon community have a very large problem with bad vibrations in these cars. The cars idle low to begin with, for some reason, but there is also a concern with the rear engine mount. I'm trying to figure out if the factory one is indeed a filled mount or not. The aftermarket mounts we commonly replace the factory one with are not filled, so that might shed some light on the issue. Would you happen to know who I might be able to get in contact with to find this out?

Thank you for your time,
Tyler
Do you have a Mopar part# by chance? Or how about a VIN? If you can provide me with either of these I can find the answer to your question.
Should be PN 05086709AA. Thanks!
Tyler,

The updated part# is 05086709AB and that is a fluid filled mount.
Now, here is the reply I received from Anchor, who I believe most of us get our replacement mounts from:
I received your inquiry this morning and your question about the 2947 being a filled mount. I guess you mean hydraulic fluid in the mount. Ours is not, nor was the original.

Regards,

John Leonard
Anchor Industries
I guess the question now is, what's the deal? I'll be sending an e-mail back to Anchor with the part number to see what they say. I have a feeling I already know, but it couldn't hurt. I will also post this up as a sticky so everyone can take a look at it.

The answer seems it may be: we need an expensive factory mount.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
houndog97
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to seeing if in fact this is the solution to this problem . I guess it's a wait and see? Who is giving it a try? I for one have changed all 4 mounts and still has the same rough idle and shaking. Also adjusted the torque struts to 4.7 inch.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

No idea who is going to try it out. My mount was just changed 30,000 miles ago, but I will give a factory mount a go when it's time. However, the only people with this problem seem to use an aftermarket mount. It's not too often someone with a good factory mount says they have bad vibrations and such.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM
houndog97
Rookie

Wish I had known that before doing the motor mounts . But then again I'm thinking how we gonna know? What are the chances people have changed both? I'm first in line to see what in fact the solution to this problem is. I've been at it for awhile and it's the only bad part of this car so far, besides the battery cables being cheap too.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:11 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I can say, that in 70,000 miles, I'll know because I'll be buying a Mopar mount unless I hear otherwise about the real problem. I just keep going back to it though. The cars don't have the problem until the [factory] mount goes out, we replace it with the aftermarket mount that is almost 1/3 the price of the OEM one, and we still have the problem. I know you have tried things to fix it. I've messed with things here and there. We are still at 0 on the successful attempts, lol. This is the one big thing that I absolutely hate about the Neon.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:36 PM
chew*
Professional

Darth,

If you want to continue investigating this seeing as how I won't be using these mounts or this paticular style much longer you can try mine out.

I have both OEM chrysler AA and AB part numbers both in excellent condition that I could lend you to experiment with.

Last edited by chew*; 11-16-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'm just curious at this point if an actual OEM filled motor mount (not the torque strut mounts, as those are just rubber) is the solution to this problem. It's understandable that people have bought the $40 aftermarket mount in place of the $120 OEM one, but apparently the aftermarket mounts aren't the same. I'm not looking to change mine out at this time though, thanks. I'm dealing with a heater core issue on another car at present, lol. Curious though, does the motor mount seem like it might be filled? Not just like a chunk of solid rubber?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:17 PM
chew*
Professional

I'm just curious at this point if an actual OEM filled motor mount (not the torque strut mounts, as those are just rubber) is the solution to this problem. It's understandable that people have bought the $40 aftermarket mount in place of the $120 OEM one, but apparently the aftermarket mounts aren't the same. I'm not looking to change mine out at this time though, thanks. I'm dealing with a heater core issue on another car at present, lol. Curious though, does the motor mount seem like it might be filled? Not just like a chunk of solid rubber?
It does appear to be somewhat different.

See if i can get a hold of a decent camera and snap some shots.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 AM
cnype

+1 on the waiting list on the solution to this. Replaced my timing belt recently and did motor mounts at the same time. Now I have a bad vibration and I'm not sure if the timing is off or if I was off by .0001 mm on my realignment of the mounts.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:44 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

What brand mount did you use, out of curiosity?

Quick Reply: Bad Shaking or Vibrating While At Idle?