2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2003 SE upgrade possibilities....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Breeze
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2003 SE upgrade possibilities....

So I've been slacking on beefing up my car....as of now i have just a custom cold air intake i made a couple years back...I want to do more simple bolt-ons but i cant really seem to find a lot of parts anymore..Went and checked out the sites listed that sales aftermarket parts but they all seem to be dated before 2010... Anyone know where to find these after market parts
1.) Bigger Throttle Body
2.) Intake Manifold (maybe Stock R/T Manifold If it fits)
3.) Exhaust packages (Headers, Hi-Flow Cat, Cat-back exhaust, Hi flow Muffler SRT replica or single can)
-Was thinking i can jus go to a muffler shop and have them run 2 inch piping from the cat back
4.) Rear drum to disc conversion
- can i just find a junked SRT and grab the rear end off?? or is there a rear end conversion kit??

Was thinking about doing the 2.4 swap but i only have about $3k to spend any help would be helpful!!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 PM
krain88
Professional

for your exhaust your stock should be 2.25 i would go with 2.5 thats what i did, I went 2.5 to a dual out. I wouldnt go bigger than 2.5 unless you put a turbo on it.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:03 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Breeze
So I've been slacking on beefing up my car....as of now i have just a custom cold air intake i made a couple years back...I want to do more simple bolt-ons but i cant really seem to find a lot of parts anymore..Went and checked out the sites listed that sales aftermarket parts but they all seem to be dated before 2010... Anyone know where to find these after market parts
1.) Bigger Throttle Body
2.) Intake Manifold (maybe Stock R/T Manifold If it fits)
3.) Exhaust packages (Headers, Hi-Flow Cat, Cat-back exhaust, Hi flow Muffler SRT replica or single can)
-Was thinking i can jus go to a muffler shop and have them run 2 inch piping from the cat back
4.) Rear drum to disc conversion
- can i just find a junked SRT and grab the rear end off?? or is there a rear end conversion kit??

Was thinking about doing the 2.4 swap but i only have about $3k to spend any help would be helpful!!
  1. Craigslist, Junkyard, FS sections of forums...no one makes them anymore.
  2. Same as above. If you get the R/T manifold, you should wire up the valves in it.
  3. Those are available in many places. They are still produced.
  4. You'll need other parts IIRC than just the calipers and rotors.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Breeze
Rookie

Yea thats what i was thinking...2.5" is the usual if you go NA and 3" is normal if ur runnin boost right?? Darth what do you mean wire up the valves?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:45 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The R/T manifold has butterfly valves that open at a certain point in acceleration to allow more air in. I don't know the specifics, but that's the Cliff Notes of it.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 AM
Breeze
Rookie

Thx bro, jus did a little research on it from faq.neons.org/2kfaq/FAQ_2KET.html

2002.5.4 Q: How does the Magnum's active intake manifold work?

A: The two-stage intake manifold is an interesting design that allows the the engine to tune the intake stream to suit the particular conditions of the moment. The manifold itself consists of two sets of runners: longer, small-bore primaries (higher velocity, lower volume), and short, fat secondaries (lower velocity, higher volume.) Manifold Tuning Valves (MTVs) located in the secondary runners are controlled by the PCM in response to engine speed and throttle position. The secondaries are normally closed except at wide open throttle (WOT), under the following circumstances:

The MTVs open at low revs (below 3200 rpm) to improve cylinder filling when intake vacuum pressure/velocity is weak. This provides good throttle response and makes the car feel more torquey.
Between 3200 and 5000 rpm, the secondaries are closed, forcing air through the longer primary runners only. This improves air velocity once the intake vacuum is stronger, maintaining the faster cylinder fill rate. Longer runners help improve midrange torque under most driving conditions.
Above 5000 rpm, the secondaries open again to provide the largest possible volume of intake air. Velocity is maintained by the high-rev demand load.

In addition to the simple mechanics of providing additional air volume when needed, the active manifold helps to tune the intake pressure waves in the same way a header is tuned to the pressure waves of the exhaust stream. Having two different types of runners helps broaden the range over which the optimum pressure tuning is applied. This allows for good midrange torque without the corresponding loss of high-end horsepower found in a single-runner design.

Thanks to Chris01RedACR for some of this information.

So i take it that my stock SE computer is not going to be able to tell the secondary when to open and close...

**Just did more research***

Items need for installation

A Magnum intake with a functioning actuator
a RPM window switch (Harlan or MSD(you may need a tach adapter))*
a Zex TPS/WOT switch*
2 relays (SPDT - Single pole, Double throw)
wire (lots of it)

I'm finally starting to realize what would be needed to pull this off...just wondering if the pay off would be justifiable....For 1.) Neon R/T has different Cams, I heard that the Crane 0012? is very similar ....2.) Exhaust ports on the R/T Head are a bit larger...3.) starting to think i should jus find the complete top end of a R/t and swap it plus MTx

Last edited by darthroush; 01-15-2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: No links to "competitor's" forum sites please. :)
Old 01-15-2012, 03:25 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Crane 12 sounds about right. Going from a 2.0 SOHC to 2.0 DOHC is much easier than going to a 2.4 head. I think you just need something like the completed head, intake and exhaust manifolds (may not even need that on a 2nd gen). There's a sticky in the 1st Gen section about doing the swap. Since all 2.0 engines were the same, the information should apply throughout the 2nd Gens as well. Perhaps someone knows a bit more about it than I do...
I'd have to Google everything. Nothing you couldn't handle I'm sure, and you'd find exactly what you are looking for vs. me copying and pasting info.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 PM
mayospartan925

im trying to do the same to my neon but theres one thing im not sure about does an 01 neon se have an egr ? and also what is the casting number for an 01 magnum cylinder head ???? ive looked and googled but very disappointed because ive come up emty handed.... i need the casting numbers for the magnum head so i can order a rebuilt one for my neon if anyone knows where i can find them please help me out haha.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

IIRC, only very early '00 Neons had EGR. As for casting numbers, not a clue.

Quick Reply: 2003 SE upgrade possibilities....