2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 Neon SXT transmission - no drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 PM
bakerm13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Neon SXT transmission - no drive

Well, after searching I have not found anything to help, however I suspect someone can help.

Keeping it short:
2005 SXT automatic. It would serge at gear changes, I want to say between 2nd and 3rd.
One day, driving home, it was like I had shifted into neutral. No drive, rev the engine, no response. Coasted to a stop. Shifting gears had NO effect. Engine runs fine.

Towed to the shop, new transmission, drive a couple of weeks, the surge during gear changes returns.

Trip to Austin, on the interstate, cursing speed, the tach goes up, no drive again. Shift into neutral, back into gear, no problems the rest of the way to Dallas.
4th time into the shop now, and they are telling me the ‘code’ says it’s the TCM. $600-$700. 4th time in the shop.

Is it possible it was the TCM all along? If I get the car back, I can get the codes.
I feel like I may have paid for a tranny that did not need replacing.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
When the transmission was replaced, was the transmission cooler flushes and a flow test? Sure it could be the TCM, but i would need to see codes and the CVI reading and if the transmission passed a clutch test.

Quick Reply: 2005 Neon SXT transmission - no drive