2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM
illriginalized
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I found one of your posts listing the mopar parts for them. Looks like it's a solid $400 to get all 4 parts. I need to do further research on replacing mounts when my mechanic replaces the timing belt + water pump. Just to get as many mounts out of the way as possible in one shot.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get aftermarket torque struts. It's the actual motor mount (rear mount) that you should stick with an OEM one. I believe it's around $120. The two aftermarket torque struts are something like $40 each. The transmission mount hardly ever goes bad, so just make sure it's actually bad before you get a new one. The motor/rear mount is the only one too that should be replaced while doing the timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulley, seals and so on as it's the last thing to come off the car before you get to those. The other three mounts can be changed any time with little trouble.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 AM
illriginalized
Rookie

Originally Posted by darthroush
Top torque strut
Sweet! Thanks. Was able to find the Mopar part in minutes

I'd rather go with Mopar due to research.. quality is much better apparently.

Edit: Ok I'll also purchase the rear mount. So far I have vibration in my dash.. no hard shifting or anything resembling of really bad mounts.

By the way Mopar 05086709AB

Is currently $89.60 before shipping/handling.

Last edited by illriginalized; 11-01-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Neonewbie
Professional

Edit: Ok I'll also purchase the rear mount. So far I have vibration in my dash.. no hard shifting or anything resembling of really bad mounts.

sounds similar to my vibration

Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neonewbie

sounds similar to my vibration
Yep... in fact I noticed it's a certain frequency in RPMs that causes the vibration too. It doesn't vibrate all the time. Sadly my SE doesn't come with a tach (it's ATX, and I guess SE is a base model, so tach is just luxury for ATX)

So I looked under my hood again to confirm and I will definitely need an upper torque strut to go with my lower/rear mount.

Here's the upper torque strut:

Edit: To add I found out that there's inserts you can also purchase to add onto this mount which solidifies / strengthens it:
http://www.modernperformance.com/pro...ne_motormounts

Last edited by illriginalized; 11-02-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I have the inserts. They'll add some vibration (nature of the beast when you make the mounts more solid), but the mounts will last much longer.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:11 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

I have the inserts. They'll add some vibration (nature of the beast when you make the mounts more solid), but the mounts will last much longer.
Really? Apparently there's two types, one is a street the other type is race and the race is the one that causes vibration.

Hopefully it doesn't vibrate the dash. Between the busted motor mount + the annoying muffler.. lol just too much sound in the cabin.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:01 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The race ones will vibrate much worse than the street ones as they are a very hard urethane. The street ones are much softer, but you are still firming up the factory mounts a bit with them, regardless. A broken/aftermarket motor mount is much worse though.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:05 AM
illriginalized
Rookie

The race ones will vibrate much worse than the street ones as they are a very hard urethane. The street ones are much softer, but you are still firming up the factory mounts a bit with them, regardless. A broken/aftermarket motor mount is much worse though.
Ah understood. Yeah looking at next week or the week after to replace the lower engine mount and the upper engine mount with a few other things. Letting mechanic handle that.

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts