2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

O2 sensor voltage high

Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 AM
guyiknow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor voltage high

What should the voltage range be from cold start to running temp?

What voltage would set off check engine light?

My daughter recently purchase a 03 SX 2.0 and previous owners said they replaced O2 but were unable to reset check engine light.

Start car and allow engine run for a few minutes voltage drops from 1.275 to around 0.8.
Shut car off then clear code and car is fine till next cold start.
At full operating temperature voltage drops to around 0.12 volts.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

The voltage usually shouldn't go over .9V or so. A warm 02 should switch fairly rapidly between .1 and .9V. But it depends if you are talking about the 02 upstream or downstream from the cat.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:06 AM
guyiknow

The one in the manifold....upstream

Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

It's usually not normal to go over 1V.

http://www.autodiagnosticsandpublish...or-testing.htm

Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Chrysler O2 sensor is a little confusing. Chrysler is the only manufacturer that runs a 5v reference to the sensor. Supposely if there is a sensor plug in and functioning, the 5v reference drops to 2.5V. and the voltage you atually read on the scanner or when you back probe it is 2.5v minus the voltage the Sensor is producing.
Something like that... I don't remember what's the exact math equation, but there are quite a few article online if you Google it.

But from my experience, Most of the O2 sensor codes' "failed repair attempt" is due to the mechanic is using the Wrong O2 sensor. A lot of Part store sells the European Bosch O2 sensor, which doesn't work on most Domestic and Asian cars. I have no idea why Bosch doesn't fix it.

I would recommend you to just throw in another O2 sensor, a Factory one from your Dodge dealer. If no Dodge Dealer near you, and you have to use Aftermarket, buy brand "NTK" or "Denso" oxygen Sensor.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

I think you're referring to a UEGO 02 sensor, I believe these vehicles are equipped with conventional voltage producing 02 sensors.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chrysler don't use Wide Band O2 sensor, They are conventional O2 sensor, no different from Ford, Toyota, or GM. They probably have an identical sensor too. But it is Chrysler's way of monitoring the sensor that's different from other automaker.

If you look at other manufacturers O2 sensor Data with a Scanner or a Meter, it almost never go above 1 volt. However, Chrysler one, even tho the sensor only produce 0.1-0.9v, however, it will occasionally go over 1 volt, which is normal due to the fact that the PCM is atually running a 5 volt reference to the circuit.I am saying it is normal if you see like 3.14 volts occasionally on a Chrysler O2 sensor Data. While If you see like 1.87v on a GM vehicle, that means you got a electrical problem.

Last edited by steak59; 11-27-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:16 AM
guyiknow

Not sure if I have an answer to my question or not.

I believe that the new O2 sensor that the last owners put in is not correct for car or is faulty.

Therfore I am gong to get a new one.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Chinckle Mcpherson

Originally Posted by steak59
Chrysler don't use Wide Band O2 sensor, They are conventional O2 sensor, no different from Ford, Toyota, or GM. They probably have an identical sensor too. But it is Chrysler's way of monitoring the sensor that's different from other automaker.

If you look at other manufacturers O2 sensor Data with a Scanner or a Meter, it almost never go above 1 volt. However, Chrysler one, even tho the sensor only produce 0.1-0.9v, however, it will occasionally go over 1 volt, which is normal due to the fact that the PCM is atually running a 5 volt reference to the circuit.I am saying it is normal if you see like 3.14 volts occasionally on a Chrysler O2 sensor Data. While If you see like 1.87v on a GM vehicle, that means you got a electrical problem.
I think you you need to check your facts buddy. I’m a mechanic and I can tell you without a doubt your a moron. What you’ve said is wrong and I don’t believe you know how to use a scan tool. There are two types of O2 sensors and then there are air/fuel ratio sensors. And dodge likes to use the bias voltage style. Which requires 5v from the pcm and measures the resistance back on the reference. Others require no voltage and create there own. Ranging from 0 to 1 v. It’s that simple.

And if your scan scan tool is reading 5v constant either you have a wiring problem or the sensor is bad. When you disconnect the 02 on a ram it’ll go to 5v on the scanner.

Last edited by Chinckle Mcpherson; 02-02-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 sensor voltage high