2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

keep blowing DRL fuse, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Diggz09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep blowing DRL fuse, Please Help!

Hello everyone.

I drive a 2003 Dodge neon sxt, and recently i put in an aftermarket cd deck. Now i keep blowing the 10amp fuse for my fog light DRL?

I taped up the wires pretty good.. and the fuse doesn't blow right away, but it does go shortly after driving..

On the back of the deck I did have a couple wires that didn't go anywhere, I think they were Orange? if that has anything to do with it

Please help!

Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM
arnonefrank13
Professional

make sure no wires are touching anything and if not used tape them off. check your grounds n ****. hope i can help

Old 12-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Diggz09

thank you for the reply.
I was just out there for a good hour wiring the crap out of the wires. Nothing could have grounded out? The fuse blows as soon as i turn the key forward once (to turn acc on) and i can hear it pop. I dont understand?? Can someone please send some ideas? im starting to hate this neon

additional info:

I do have an antenna adapter installed into the deck and even taped off the ends not being used.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Diggz09

also noticed i didnt have a 25amp fuse in the fog light part under the hood, so i put a fuse in and fogs don't even come on??

the fogs used to work as DRL.. till this new cd deck ?

if anyone has any ideas pleassseee help !

Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

odd, maybe just coincidence. Look @ the back of the fogs + wire to get color code, see if that is anywhere in the vicinity to where you installed deck/powered antenna adptr. Even trace it to fire wall grommet.

it's possibly grounding out somewhere, look down under from the fog light to the fuse box, + wire is probably rubbing on the rad support etc.

Last edited by TejasMtnBiker; 12-06-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Diggz09

Originally Posted by TejasMtnBiker
odd, maybe just coincidence. Look @ the back of the fogs + wire to get color code, see if that is anywhere in the vicinity to where you installed deck/powered antenna adptr. Even trace it to fire wall grommet.

it's possibly grounding out somewhere, look down under from the fog light to the fuse box, + wire is probably rubbing on the rad support etc.

thank you for your reply.
I put back the old radio deck back in, and the fuse stopped blowing.
My fogs now come on as day time running lights (as before) but when i turn on the fogs they don't work and there is no light coming on the dash.

I heard from someone else there is a wire that breaks due to rubbing on the rad. Everything is so tightly fitting in the engine part but i'll take a look later tonight. Hard to get under the car lol

Old 12-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Diggz09

So with the stock radio in and the drl lights working I get driving then I hear a pop. Yet again fuse blows.
I noticed though my radio stations were barely coming in. Which isn't normal. Could it be my antenna wire that's shorting out?

It's the front fog lamp fuse btw

Last edited by Diggz09; 12-13-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:21 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

ahh does it when driving? I'm gonna bet that down on your drivers side the bracket that holds the computer is tweaked, and there is a wire rubbing, as you drive/put in gear etc. the motor torques, wire rubs and grounds out. Use a really bright light to look down there at the connectors too if any are showing wire sheathing it's good time to clean/degrease them and use quality electrical tape with a coating of liquid elec. tape That way its pretty solid & secure to not happen again.

If that pc mounting is bent any it's not had to pull out, just use a steel cable ratchet for like heavy duty tying down on a trailer. Walmart light parking light poles work best here, just hook on underneath, put your parking brakes on and ratchet just enuff till you unbend that bracket. Clearance is about an inch+ from the trans.

I'm just guessing here, but that's how I figured out my a/c clutch problem & blowing random fuses once before I learned about neon motor mouths chittin out quickly.

Quick Reply: keep blowing DRL fuse, Please Help!