2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

00 neon alignment specs

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Melinda
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 neon alignment specs

Was wondering if someone could tell me the alignment specs for my 2000 dodge neon. I took it to Expert Tire and had it aligned and they told me that the front right couldn't be adjusted correctly and the adjustments they made just don't make sense to me. A few that were in spec they adjusted to out of spec and I would like to know the correct specs. Thank you!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:20 AM
sbhawaiian
Professional

My Chilton manual says that it's so exact that it needs to be done in a shop. No specs offered. Any chance you car was in an accident and the front end got tweeked? They should have given you an answer.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:18 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These are specifically for a 2003, but I can't imagine it being any different:

Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

If you sure it's never been in a front end accident/damaged you can get this corrected, so if they cannot get it aligned 100% the upper strut mounts need to be replaced, cheap parts $25-$45 each side (minus labor charges) for the front but the struts/shocks have to be pulled for this so if new struts/shocks are needed its a good time to do it. I fought National tire an battery on this alignment issue with my 2000 model and the strut mounts won the fight lol

Old 05-11-2013, 02:22 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional
Default Control Arms too

Don't forget to check the control arms also. The Vertical and horizontal bushings went on mine. Finally check the ball joint for play.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:05 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The control arm bushings aren't used in aligning any car. It's the ball joint(s) and tie rod ends. On cars where the camber is adjustable, it would be the struts. Tejas makes a good point that if the strut mounts on the Neon are bad, it could lead to bad camber specs (I'm assuming that's where that was going). I've not heard of that specifically, but in theory, it makes sense. Some people with Neons have bought the camber kits, which are a eccentric bolt kit.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Melinda
Amateur

awesome! thanks everyone...and to mention yes my car has been in a front end accident about 4 years ago...also

My entire front end is wore out so I have been fixing/replacing things one by one...I started with the struts actually they are only about 2 1/2 weeks old(my front driver was making a terrible knockin clunk when i would hit smaller bumps compared to the bigger ones and told struts would fix it BUT DIDNT)...then I replaced both control arms(I still need to replace the bushings)...then my car would almost throw me into the other lane or off the road when i would hit a bump so I knew it needed aligned...took in and when i went to get it the guy told me that they werent supposed to let vehicles leave their shop if they werent in spec BUT it said it was impossible for him to get it right because i need an aftermarket camber kit...so...

On the struts...i asked the guy on this if he was going to do the whole strut assembly and he said no just the struts...guess im not sure if strut mounts were part of just the strut...i knew better i shoulda told him i wanted the whole strut assembly because i know it needed!!! cost me 300$ because i was lazy and let someone else do this for me...never again

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I LET OTHER PEOPLE TOUCH MY CAR...I ALWAYS DO MY OWN WORK

Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM
sbhawaiian
Professional
Default Hope it all works out...

I would say be careful how much you put into your neon. Especially since there is a chance the frame may no longer be straight. I bought my 00 as a "Maui cruiser". That's what we call beaters on Maui, sounds better too. It ended being a real work horse and I was able to fix over 90% on my own. With 52 miles to and from work and gas pushing $5 a gallon it was a good bet on a used car.
You did get new springs when you repalced the front struts? Before I did my front end was so low that I could not drive over a toad without hitting him on the head. the control arms, strut mounts, engine mount, trans. mount were all imports and the rubber was so hard on them. the last thing I changed was the original sway bar bushings(they were hard as a rock) and end links. prothane bushings come with a thick silicon grease that works really well to help quiet the front end.

Quick Reply: 00 neon alignment specs