2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:50 PM
celticshinobi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.

okay, scratch the fuel pump idea. that's probably more money than it would be worth when there are smarter, easier, and cheaper things i could tackle first.

I've got a 2000 Neon ATX. Here's what I have planned so far. Ive already ordered my new CAI Im looking for a dual exhaust right now then its off to get a tranny cooler (Im about to pass 100k so its probably a good idea to do that pronto) but before I do that, Ill go ahead and change my timing belt since Im right at 100k. I think a new header is in order after all of that.

After that, I'll see how my baby's performing and then some more mods. any suggestions/ideas?

Old 02-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

Oh my god why the hell did you pay so much for your K&N CAI, look people dont spend over 180 on a K&N CAI go to WWW.Nopi.Com and go to their E-Cat,

Old 02-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

ok what i say about handling, im saving up for a TEIN coil over with pillow ball mounts, its just over a grand and hey its from TEIN these guys know what the hell they are doing, when it comes to suspension, and i got DC sports strut bars front and rear, and im thinking of going for Eibach sway bars front and rear but im going to get the upgraded SRT-4 ones they are bigger and will fit, remember a SRT-4 is still a freaking neon. ie. struts and stuff. hp wise, i think my next upgrade will be either a borla header, or a cat back, but i really think that the exhaust is my next hurdle. I really want to get the moroso oil pan, i know its not cheap and it bumbs the amount of oil to about 6.25 qt thats a lot of synthetic Mobil 1 but its worth it.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:44 AM
bill14224

After careful consideration (and $2,500 cash back off invoice price) I bought a loaded 2005 Neon SXT auto 4 months ago and I like it more every time I drive it. It handles great, looks great, and has enough zip for me, but I'm an 43-yr-old geezer.

There is nothing you can do to this car that will make it perform like an SRT-4 and the price difference is approx. $5k. 132HP for a 2 litre engine is plenty. If you don't think so you don't remember the economy cars of yesteryear. (68-75 HP and don't you DARE get the auto or it won't be able to get out of its own way!)

I've been reading about various performance mods for last gen. Neons and the gains are minimal because the car is well engineered to begin with. I'm amazed at the refinement of today's economy cars like the Neon. If you want a really fast Neon I would suggest getting the SRT-4 as your Neon will never approach that performance level no matter how much you spend. From what I understand the only way you can get appreciable gains with a late model Neon would be to change the computer which would be cost prohibitive and probably illegal in your state. I live in NY. Everything's illegal here...

Sure, use synthetic oil. (that's the cheapest and biggest power and efficiency gain) Drop-in a reuseable performance air filter or cold air intake. When it's time for a new muffler go ahead and upgrade there if you want, but they're expensive and add almost no power. It's mostly money down the sewer in my opinion. Save your money for a down payment on a house!

Arrive alive,

Bill

Old 03-01-2006, 05:05 AM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

no your amazingly wrong for i have seen a 400 hp 2001 neon with the SOHC motor and it was street legal, with out NOS

Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 AM
bill14224

Ask that person how much he spent on his 400HP Neon and you'll find that I'm not wrong. It is essentially a remanufactured car. If it really is 400HP I guarangoddamntee you the driveability is awful.... way too much power for a car of that size!

Arrive alive,

Bill

Old 03-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Majin_Neon_00
Professional

how can that be said when there are 500 hp civics out there that people drive daily

Old 03-03-2006, 02:34 AM
celticshinobi

haha, just drop a high performance cam and lifters into your 2.0 neon or drop a 2.4 in there, and youll have a lot more than just minimal gain. you could also pop in some extra little things to add even more bit by bit like the exhaust and intake and header. and even if you just go with a new exhaust and intake, while you might not get THAT much extra hp, that car will be able to breath a lot better.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:55 AM
shnormo
Veteran

First of all get a real car. First is first cold air, exhaust. With this motor use a smaller diamater 2.75" at the max. Don't get a ricer exhaust, it actually builds up back pressure. Headers are nice, high flow cats, iridium spark plugs, grounding kit, under drive pullies, a real motor, you can get a stroker kit, pcm up grades, spark plug wires, larger throttle body. As far as handling, wider tires, camber kit, new control arms with more camber, lowering kit, sway bars, Polyeurothane/polygraphite bushings, motor mount inserts (SRT-4 ones will work), manual... twin plate clutch, suicide clutch, short throw shifter, thow out the back seat, rear bumper diffuser, and strut tower braces.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:23 AM
celticshinobi

there ya go

plus, who would want to just buy a hot rod when its sooo much more fun to mod a neon?

Quick Reply: How do I make my 2nd Gen neon faster.