2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Need help isolating severe grinding noise from front of 04 SXT

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help isolating severe grinding noise from front of 04 SXT

I'm cursed with a 2004 SXT Neon with 125,000 miles. The car started making what I assumed was a "strut noise" about three months ago. I figured as a daily beater I wasn't too concerned with struts and ignored it. The noise has steadily gotten worse going over bumps or even cracks in the road and on turning. Seems to be coming from the right side but unsure. I got underneath to see if a collapsed strut was causing the wheel to rub it sounded that fierce but I didn't observe anything out of place. Yesterday while driving home from work the car was VERY bad, grinding/clicking as soon as I put it in gear at the office. Going down the road under power it was as if I was driving on a continuous cobblestone the noise was so bad. I pulled over and looked to see if I even had a right front wheel and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

So I am suspecting axle/half shaft or diff issues. The clicking is a first, as in I am just barely able to distinguish it and I've not heard it before. So, any suggestions on where to start? I pulled the right front wheel off and there isn't any loose grease or oil seeping out. I hate to pull it apart and replace it only to find out it wasn't the source of the problem. I suspect if I jack up the front and try to duplicate the noise I wont' have it with the suspension at droop.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 AM
steve die
Amateur

When going over bumps the clunking could be worn control arm bushings or sway bar linkage. Grinding could be brakes, but you probably checked that out already. only other thing i can think of is bad wheel bearing. Jack the car up, rotate the wheel and if it makes a grinding noise that's the wheel bearing. I checked mine last summer, they where in great shape for a 2000. I'm glad because it took a 450 Ftlb torque wrench all its might to get the axle nut off.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:39 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

OK I'm at my wits end. The right side motor mounts were wore smooth out. Replaced them both and no change. Its almost like a "rotational" grinding noise. Its sporadic. It did do it in park but new motor mounts solved. That.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:16 AM
WifesNeon

You probably replaced the 2 "torque struts", not the engine mount, which is well hidden at the middle of the engine on the passenger side. If your 2 torque struts were "wore smooth out" then you can bet money your main engine mount is toast too. Also, when your torque struts were installed were they properly adjusted? If not, that will cause you problems as well. Here's the link on the torque strut adjustment, as far as the engine mount I would do a search to find the how-to. Good luck.

Torque Strut Adjustment

Old 10-06-2013, 04:52 PM
steve die
Amateur

Originally Posted by kadetklapp
OK I'm at my wits end. The right side motor mounts were wore smooth out. Replaced them both and no change. Its almost like a "rotational" grinding noise. Its sporadic. It did do it in park but new motor mounts solved. That.

I know this thread is old, but did you locate the source of the noise? My brothers 01 neon has started doing this in the last few weeks and its a rotational noise, with movement of the vehicle. I jacked up the front of the car and even ran it, no noise. Only when pressure is on the suspension. All the suspension is new, I'm at a loss at what it could be. It's constant though, think of a spinning gameshow wheel like the price is right. It's just like that.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:09 AM
frankarnone70
Rookie

That sounds like a half shaft. Record a video or sound clip so I can hear it. A $10 stethoscope will help. I have one.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM
steve die
Amateur

I had thought it could be an axle, but once I jacked it up and ran the car off the suspension i ruled it out. Since the angle of the shaft changes when you have it resting on its suspension it could cause different noises. If i can make a video of it in the comings weeks I will.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:19 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

Originally Posted by steve die
I had thought it could be an axle, but once I jacked it up and ran the car off the suspension i ruled it out. Since the angle of the shaft changes when you have it resting on its suspension it could cause different noises. If i can make a video of it in the comings weeks I will.

you get an resoloution on the fix yet?

Quick Reply: Need help isolating severe grinding noise from front of 04 SXT