2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 dodge neon sxt leaking oil around targe magnet

Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 PM
punk1oo7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 dodge neon sxt leaking oil around targe magnet

I have a 2005 dodge neon sxt that I ran a code reader on and it said it was my cam shaft sensor. When I went to replace it I saw oil leaking from around my target magnet. So I bought a new magnet and replace it and put the new sensor on. When I tried to start my car something popped. I then took the sensor back off and seen the magnet was leaking oil again and so i cleaned it and put it all back on. Ran code reader again and there were no code tried to start the car again and the code came back on. Why is oil leaking around my magnet and what can I do to make it stop?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is only leaking when you take the CPS off?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:10 PM
punk1oo7

It is leaking when the sensor is on and it starts when the car turns over

Old 01-16-2014, 01:15 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is leaking with the sensor on, it's one of two things: either the green o-ring isn't going on correctly (pinched/not seated right) or the sensor was over-tightened and has a crack allowing a leak. The sensor bolts only need something like 6 ft/lbs.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 AM
punk1oo7

okay thanks for the help. Now i have another question the reason i am doing all of this is because my car rotates but will not start. So my new question is do you think i need to go on a change my crankshaft sensor? I have had the car for 5 yrs and crankshaft has never been changed. I had to change cam shaft sensor one time before and i was wondering what you think.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:21 PM
steve die
Amateur

I have 191k miles on my 2000, original crank sensor. Replaced the CPS 6 months ago because it was drooling oil. A popping sound would make me very nervous. it could have destroyed the sensor, thus making the code come back. If i recall it was $18, i'd get another one and reinstall. As Darth said, its a hand tight bolt.

It's possible its the crank as well. My buddies 2004 Tib ran like crap until it just wouldn't start. Turns out it was the crank.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:43 PM
punk1oo7

ok i have changed both. but it still says it is the sensor. there is oil leaking out from the edge of the piece that the magnet is in and with the magnet in i wipe it off and it started leaking again with me standing there so what would cause that and what do i need to do

Old 01-20-2014, 12:20 PM
ClaytonH
Rookie

Is there allot of play in your camshaft? Was the back of the cam sensor worn?

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=389251

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/45zx...-neon-2-0.html

Is the pigtail and wiring going to the CPS in good condition? Oil in there or corroded contacts.

Not entirly sure why it would be leaking unless the gasket was improperly installed or the head got scratched where the gasket sits and the oil is wicking out.
There will be oil behind the camshaft sensor.

What is your oil pressure like? Are you blowing out oil filters?

Crankshaft position sensor will give you no start as steve_die said.

Last edited by ClaytonH; 01-20-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 AM
steve die
Amateur

If i remember correctly I think the camshaft in the Neons have a tendency to wander out towards the sensor. As you would have said Clay about the sensor being worn. He may have to slightly tap it back into place with a rubber mallet. But, I have never had that issue and don't know enough about it so just use this as a spring board for ideas.

As clay said a little oil will seep around the magnet, thats why the CPS has a tiny O-ring. If the head is scratched I'd try a little Black RTV (I think black is higher temp rated than Red) on the O-ring. I mean A LITTLE, use a Q-tip or something. the Oil pressure up there isn't to high thats why the o-ring is tiny. Also as he said clean the contacts with contact cleaner if the harness looks to be in good shape.

After that...still don't work, I'm at a loss. That's where my knowledge ends.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:57 PM
Neon_2014

Have you installed Mopar CPS?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 dodge neon sxt leaking oil around targe magnet