2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Ticking in motor!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:28 AM
dodgegirl20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Ticking in motor!

I have a 2002 Dodge Neon SXT & whenever I start it up, I hear a ticking/knocking in my motor. This also happens if I'm stopped, like at a drive thru or just sitting in my car with it on during my lunch break at work. I got three motor mounts changed a few months ago & this started after that. When I am at a red light or stop sign, my car will idle at 500 rpm's & shake really bad, but won't stall out. This only happens when my car feels like doing it, not constantly. And, is anyone else's neon loud? No matter what I do...my car is always growling & I would like to enjoy a quiet ride. This is my first car & I got it last year. Please help.

Last edited by dodgegirl20; 04-25-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Welcome to DF! Going to move this to the Neon Section for you.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:07 AM
dodgegirl20

Thank you!!!

Old 04-27-2014, 12:15 PM
richards83
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles on your Neon? If it has a lot of miles, it wouldn't be unusual to have some ticking sounds, or even knocking, which is probably piston slap. Any idea what grade of oil is in the engine? I would recommend at least a 10W30. As engines wear, tolerances become larger and a thicker oil will provide more cushion. I'm sure the new motor mounts aren't helping the vibration issues. Because of the cost, most people use cheap aftermarket mounts that are made with a harder rubber, so they transmit vibration through the chassis much more than OEM mounts. Your idle is too low, so a good place to start might be to figure out why. A good tune up, maybe clean the IAC valve. Getting that idle up may just solve all your problems.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 PM
djbucky3
Captain

As for the loud part.. Is it loud from the exhaust or the engine itself? If it is the exhaust, you may want to put on a quieter muffler.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:37 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the engine noise stop, or get quieter, after you've driven the car for a bit?

Old 05-16-2014, 03:42 PM
FordGirl88
Exclamation low RPM when stopped @ redlights and long stop signs.

Hi, I have similar issues as Dodgegirl20 does with her neon. Ironically mine is white as well. I only have low RPM when at a long stoplight/stop sign. and my oil light comes on after i fill my tank up or when I turn my car off after driving and start it back up right away or soon after shutting it off. I am not sure why that is. someone told me to check the mass air flow sensor and clean it and my RPMs will go up. is this true?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM
W74adam
Default Same problem

I have the 05' Neon SXT, and I have also owned a 2000 Neon, and both of them, have always had, rough idle issues at stop lights, signs, etc. What I have learned after owning Neons for 14 years, is all you can do, when at a light, is put the car in neutral, and back into drive, and it will smooth out. Also, if you have power windows, just push the switch, up or down, and hold the switch, like you are making sure the window is completely up or down, and putting a load, on the switch, puts a load on the alternator, and boost the idle just enough to smooth the engine out. What I know is, Dodge put low amp alternators on the Neon, and I believe putting a higher amp output alternator, will help with the engine idle issue with the Neon. Anyway I hope this helps a little.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:37 PM
73novass
Rookie

lazy lifter most likely if it is at low idle. your lifter is not fully extended until under a load. Piston slap or a low end knock is quite different from a ticking noise kind of like hitting a desk with a pencil for the tick noise vs. a hammer or a much heavier object for the piston slap or low end knock!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ticking in motor!