2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Cam Position Sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 03:54 AM
boomchip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Position Sensor problem

Hello everyone.

As you can tell, I am new to the forums. Not only am I new to the forums, but I am uneducated in the subject of "car repair."

So, with that being said, I am in need of assistance in repairing a problem I have. With it, comes a story:

Today I was driving my 2000 Plymouth Neon and while I was getting off of the expressway ramp, I really hit the gas pedal hard, harder than I ever have before. I was probably going about 10-15mph, so when I gunned it, my CEL (check engine) came on immediately. So I drove it for a while, and the light stayed on. I hoped it would solve itself and all would be well. So after starting the car a couple of times after the incident occured, it was still on. So I took it to an auto place and was going to have them run the diagnostic test on it so I can figure out what the error was. So while I was in the car calling up a place on my cell phone, I started out to go to the place and when I looked down, the engine light was off. I rejoiced and decided not to go since it was off.

Later on that evening, I was on my way home and I got a few blocks from where I started and the car stalled; the brake and the gas pedal locked up and it stalled, and the CEL followed suite. Then the oil light came on very briefly, but went off after I turned the car off and back on again. But the CEL stayed on. I got to the next traffic light and it happened again, but the car didn't stall that time, although it jerked a few times before I almost thought it was going to stall again. FYI, I am due for oil change now @ 72,000 miles.

So, I immediately drove the rest of the way home with the CEL on, and went and got the test done. The error code P0340 came up on the tool, and the guy who looked it up for me checked it out on their parts system and found that I needed to replace the camshaft position sensor.

I have been doing some research this evening and want to know if anyone has any advice for me in this situation? I purchased the cam sensor from the auto parts store, but since I know nothing about repairing this ailment, now I need to find out how to go about getting it replaced, and if indeed this part will fix the problem.

Thanks for any assistance in advance!

Old 11-08-2005, 11:48 AM
StepOnIt
Default RE: Cam Position Sensor problem

No offense, but if you have to ask, you shouldn't attempt to do the repair yourself! Camshaft timing is of CRUCIAL importance on the SOHC engine and incorrect timing may DESTROY your engine as the pistons will hit the valves! Seek a professional mechanic, the price you will pay for the service will be repaid many times. A good article on the engine here: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/2.html

Old 02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
jnb_ccfl

Hey boomchip,

While I do agree with StepOnIt's suggestion of having a certified mechanic work on your car, and that the timing is a crucial part of engine performance, it is possible to replace the camshaft positioning sensor on your own. Mine just went out as well (by just went out I mean, it went out like 6 months ago and I've dangerously still been driving it). I understand mechanics are expensive.

Okay, so the location of the CPS is, when standing at the hood facing your neon, on the right side of the engine. It's literally on the engine. It's a bit of a pain in the butt to see, but underneath the hoses coolant line and beside the battery you'll see it. Always remember to disconnect your battery (negative first)! In this case it'll be easier to take the battery out. There's a bracket on the back of the battery that must be unscrewed to do so. The CSP takes 4 8mm bolts. Don't forget to put the new one on exactly as the old one was and to reconnect the wires and put any wires or tubes that you moved around back in their original positions. Also, check to see if you separated a connector anywhere near where you were working. It's an older vehicle and if it's anything like my 2005, in rough shape.

I'm going to be honest, this little bugger is a pain in my ***. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 AM
tiggere

I just replaced mine as well...to make life easier go ahead and remove the battery, battery tray, and airbox...then take the bolt out of the bracket holding the hardlines on in front of the sensor...disconnect the two hose clamps and remove the flex lines from the hardlines...this will give you enough room to get that little bugger off...

FYI...I have NEVER worked on a car...EVER...and it was not that hard to replace...just had to take the darn car apart to get to it...hope this helps someone...

Old 04-12-2012, 04:55 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

My mother's car has suffered this problem. I'm going to try and fix it tonight. Question: Is it common for the CPS failure to cause a code to be thrown for knock sensor? Specifically, code Po325?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No. It's the same possible causes though, but for the knock sensor.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM
joester
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine at about 90,000 miles.

Grabbed a used one off a car in the parts yard that looked low mileage for $5.

I feel for those who need to do this "what should be simple" repair. You have to either work through the wiring and coolant lines or remove them. I worked through them and used about 6 inches of 1/4" ratchet extensions to reach through the mess.

As long as the orientation is correct, you should be OK. Due to the bolt pattern and wiring connection, it's a hard orientation to mix up since it only mounts one way.

If you take the old one apart, there are 3 sensors that determine the position of the cam. On mine, one sensor was bad.

Joe

Quick Reply: Cam Position Sensor problem