2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Ok I need help troubleshooting my problem with 2000 dodge neon im stumped big time

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:15 PM
aaron southall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok I need help troubleshooting my problem with 2000 dodge neon im stumped big time

Ok I have 2000 dodge neon it will not start but will crank I have checked timing belt and made sure timing marks were lined up , checked spark that's good also , checked fuel pump/injectors those both are good as well and went through and made sure all sensors were plugged up with no burnt out wires that all checked out but the car will still not start it will turn and even sometimes pop in the throttle body still with no start I'm completely stumped thinking it may be ecm oh yea we got codes p1684 p1193 those are the only codes and the car has 211k miles when you try to start it it sounds like it's starving for gas but it's not it's getting good fuel anyone have any ideas ?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:57 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the 2nd gen Neon forum.
Good idea to have looked for & posted trouble code clue Numbers & to have checked the timing belt & for spark & sensor connections.
The P1684 code says the computer isn't happy with the inlet air temp circuit reading High & that can affect fuel trim. The P1193 is for a battery disconnect within the last 50 starts.
Did the problem come about suddenly after some event?
Will it run if you squirt starting fluid into the intake?
If you measured fuel pressure, post the Number/s. EDIT: On a 2000 it should be 44-54 psi @ the fuel rail test port.
Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Last edited by paw paw; 09-12-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:56 PM
aaron southall

Originally Posted by paw paw
Welcome to the 2nd gen Neon forum.
Good idea to have looked for & posted trouble code clue Numbers & to have checked the timing belt, for sprak & sensor connections.
The P1684 code says the computer isn't happy with the inlet air temp circuit reading High & that can affect fuel trim. The P1193 is for a battery disconnect within the last 50 starts.
Did the problem come about suddenly after some event?
Will it run if you squirt starting fluid into the intake?
If you measured fuel pressure, post the Number/s.
Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

I checked timing belt and all that was good and the inlet air temp wouldn't cause a crank no start issue . It actually isn't my car it's a friend of mine I'm helping him fix to my knowledge from what he's told me is he was low on oil and coolant before the car cut off and stopped running on him so I'm little worried it may have overheated on him but not sure . My thoughts now are I think it may be a compression problem Idk why I didn't think about it before I should slap myself for over looking that possibility haha so I'm gonna check that out but it's the only thing left so I'm pretty sure that's the problem so either it has bad piston rings or bad valves I knew I should of took head off when I inspected timing belt smh I guess some days are just off days aren't they lol

Old 09-12-2017, 01:46 AM
paw paw
Captain

Ok, that's more good info input. Takes air, fuel, spark & compression to make em run, (so as you mentioned, the last one hasn't been looked at) & spark & valve timing to make em run well. Any sparkles in the oil on the dipstick?
What caused him to run it out of oil & coolant & how long in time/miles/speed, did he drive it that way?

Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 PM
aaron southall

Ok, that's more good info input. Takes air, fuel, spark & compression to make em run, (so as you mentioned, the last one hasn't been looked at) & spark & valve timing to make em run well. Any sparkles in the oil on the dipstick?
What caused him to run it out of oil & coolant & how long in time/miles/speed, did he drive it that way?

No i didn't see any metal in oil no coolant either so I'm guessing coolant may be getting burnt up due bad head gasket cause I didn't see any coolant leaking anywhere but did see oil leaking from oil pan and head drained the coolant and the coolant looked as if there was oil in it also the oil smelled a little like gas but could be from him flooding it trying to start it and not exactly sure how long he's ran it like that I don't even think he knows to be honest but the car does have 211xxx miles so many some parts wore down over time and him running low on oil and coolant didn't help so the engine might get rebuilt while the head is off

Old 09-12-2017, 03:22 PM
paw paw
Captain

Ok, well if the oil pan was leaking, put a clogged up PCV valve on the suspect list, as with excessive piston ring blow-by from worn rings, along with a clogged up PCV valve, can cause crank case over pressure, that can cause seal/gasket blow out. Sounds like most Everything belongs on the suspect list.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM
aaron southall

Ok, well if the oil pan was leaking, put a clogged up PCV valve on the suspect list, as with excessive piston ring blow-by from worn rings, along with a clogged up PCV valve, can cause crank case over pressure, that can cause seal/gasket blow out. Sounds like most Everything belongs on the suspect list.
Pretty much haha going back this weekend to check it out so I'll tear it down and check everything and see if he will want me to rebuild it cause that's most likely what's gonna need to happen I'll let you know what I find but your probably right it's gonna need rebuilt

Old 09-16-2017, 10:41 AM
paw paw
Captain

OK, let us know what you find.