2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

check engine light p0522 and p0304

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 12:44 AM
arushton11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light p0522 and p0304

okay so I have a 2005 dodge neon, we changed the camshaft sensor and sparkplugs and the wires. The CEL went off and then came back on with p0522. I understand it is getting colder and what not but as I was driving uphill the CEL began to flash a few times and then remained not flashing. I pulled over and checked the codes again and it was still p0522 and p0304. is it more than just changing the engine oil sensor?

Old 12-13-2017, 06:07 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the 2nd Gen Neon forum.
Dang, 5 days & no replies, so I'll see if I can get things started.

P0304 = a cylinder #4 misfire, so revisit the work you did on that cylinder, to make sure the plug wire on Both ends is fully fastened in place/hasn't popped off/up/out of the coil pack or off the spark plug.
If that's ok, pull the #4 plug & check the ceramic insulators inside & out for chips or cracks. If ok reinstall & torque to spec with a known good torque wrench. Make sure the external insulator is clean.

If all that checks out ok, check the #4 plug wire for cuts, or for a faulty connector crimp on Both ends. On another forum a member had a misfire problem with new plug wires, sounding much like yours & upon checking the offending cyl plug wire, had the plug end connector fall off. Checking further, the wire hadn't been stripped, or even crimped, just stuck unstripped, into the connector. SO, just because parts are new doesn't automatically earn them a pass, make them prove themselves.

If the plug wire seems physically ok, use your multi-meter to give it a end to end continuity & resistance check. They typically measure around 1,000 ohms/in. of length, 30,000 ohms max, no matter the length.

If all that checks out ok, consider a after dark, warm idle "wet down test" with a spray bottle of water, along the #4 plug wire length & around the #4 plug wire coil pack connection, while watching for a arcs & sparks light show, or a change in idle, in time with a break down.

If that checks out ok, stop the engine, raise the coil pack & block it up a little, restart the engine & spritz it underneath while looking for electrical break down, They are known to crack underneath & have unseen electrical leakage, or break down that can cause a wimpy spark, or misfire.

On the P0522 code, if you used plumbing PTFE ribbon dope to seal the sensor threads, it might be causing a poor ground to the engine block. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by paw paw; 12-13-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: check engine light p0522 and p0304