2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 neon crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 05:01 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok lets think about this some more. If you think you don't have any spark from the coil pack, check for 12 volts B+ @ the coil pack electrical connector DG/Orange lead to a good clean unpainted non rusty ground, when the ignition switch is in the Run position. If no B+ there, back up & have a look in the under hood power distribution box at fuse #21 a 20amp, to make sure it isn't blown. If fuse 21 is ok & you also have B+ to the fuel injectors B+ DG/Orange leads, have a look at the DG/Orange wire run between the ASD power relay & the coil pack electrical connector.
If at KOER you find you also don't have B+ to the fuel injectors, check the ASD power relay in the under hood power distribution box. Maybe give it a thump, or wiggle, to see if it'll wake up.
If it wakes up, remove it for a pin/socket inspection. Maybe rust, or corrosion has mucked them up, or maybe the ASD relay has an internal problem.

If you find 12 volts B+ at the coil pack electrical connector, check the coil pack primary windings for a open circuit condition & let us know what you find..

Old 02-27-2019, 03:56 PM
NeonDVNT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Dave, I had the EXACT same issue with two of my Neons. I had a 2000 that did this, and it ended up being a harness connector on the steering colum. It had dry rotted an was coming apart where it was touching the colum.

Second was my 2002, I had to replace the starter, and after I installed the new one, the car would do nothing at all, just check engine light would come on when I initially turned on the key. Long story short, the wire connection to starter solenoid had corroded an was coming apart at the connector. I changed the connector and wire an hadn’t had any more problems with it!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Chris

Old 03-31-2019, 01:44 PM
Dave_w

Well I'm.not sure what mine was doing but I have it figured out now. I guess there's something in the ignition switch somewhere. I had to run a new ignition source years ago and put in a push button to to turn the starter over. Always before it would start with just the key in the "run/on" position. Now I have to turn the key to the "start/crank" position while pushing the button and it will start right up. Idk what I done wrong when where or how busy to got lucky and figured it out. I appreciate all the advice that I've got from everyone.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:13 PM
paw paw
Captain

Originally Posted by Dave_w
Well I'm.not sure what mine was doing but I have it figured out now. I guess there's something in the ignition switch somewhere. I had to run a new ignition source years ago and put in a push button to to turn the starter over. Always before it would start with just the key in the "run/on" position. Now I have to turn the key to the "start/crank" position while pushing the button and it will start right up. Idk what I done wrong when where or how busy to got lucky and figured it out. I appreciate all the advice that I've got from everyone.
Good info about having previously had ignition switch woes & having wired in a MacGyver work around, so why not consider installing a quality OEM type ignition switch???

Old 03-31-2019, 03:39 PM
Dave_w

I probably will in a few weeks. Just have to get enough money saved back. It appears that I'm going to do another tranny swap anyway now since I have a seal leaking now. Put the right tranny in this time and see if everything straightens up then. Although I'm not sure if I change the ignition switch then won't the key/computer need reprogram med since it's a chip key? That's one big reason I've "macgyvered" it

Last edited by Dave_w; 03-31-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:08 PM
paw paw
Captain

You could try swapping the old lock cylinder into the new switch asy & that way keep the same keys & also have a new spare cylinder with new keys if needed later..

Old 03-31-2019, 04:11 PM
Dave_w

Ok thanks for the input. When my money gets freed up a little bit I'll try it

Old 03-31-2019, 04:22 PM
paw paw
Captain

Let us know how it goes

Quick Reply: 2005 neon crank no start