2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 neon crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 06:47 PM
Dave_w
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 neon crank no start

I have a 2005 Dodge neon 2.0 that will crank but not start. I have replaced the coil pack, cam sensor, crank sensor plugs and wires. It did start fine then needed some either for it to fire then wouldn't start at all. Is there any help or hope for this car?????

Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Is this the same 05 that you changed the Electronic 4 speed tranny out with a 01 31TH Hydraulic 3 speed tranny & were having starting problems back in Sept 2017? If so, darthrouch likely answered the question in your thread here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3356251 ?

Would be helpful to know if you installed the proper tranny back then, or managed otherwise to get it to work, so we kinda know what configuration its in now & if its been running, did its present no run state come about suddenly after some event?
Did all those parts you said you replaced check bad, or need replacing because of time/mileage, or were you just tossing parts at the problem & hopping for joy?
Scan for & post up All trouble code Number clues, as they can help focus a trouble shoot.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:42 PM
Dave_w

As a matter of fact it is the same car. It did start up and run really well for about 4 months. Had an issue with the starter that went bad. When I replaced starter is when this trouble started. It's not showing any codes at all which has me confused also. Still has the same 2005 4speed computer in it never had to reprogram it. Just using a manual kickdown cable. Honestly I'm just throwing parts at it hoping it fixes the issue. The crank and cam sensors definitely needed replaced though.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:54 PM
paw paw
Captain

Ok good feedback. SO, it'll run if you spray some starting fluid into the intake & if so it suggests a fuel delivery problem, so have a look at fuses & relays controlling the fuel pump, to make sure its running. If it is, check fuel pressure & delivery rate over time & post the Numbers.
If it no longer wants to run with starting fluid, it suggests spark may be going missing, or maybe the timing belt has a problem, so how many miles on the timing belt? Can you see through the belt cover if the cam is turning when the engine crankshaft is moved?

Old 02-09-2019, 10:02 PM
Dave_w

It did run of sprayed some starting fluid in the intake. Then one day it just wouldn't start at all. I've got the metal bracket off and can see into the the timing belt cover. The belt is tight and it all looks good. I'm definitely getting fuel into the fuel rail. I'm not sure what the fuel pressure is because I don't have the tools to give me a pressure reading. But when I push on the Schrader valve on the fuel rail it's definitely spraying fuel. when I turn the crank the cam is turning.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:59 PM
paw paw
Captain

Ok more good feedback, so lets think about this some more. Seeing as how it takes air, fuel, spark & compression to make em run, it seems if the belt is tight & the cam is turning, the fuel pump is pressurizing the fuel rail, but it won't fire, even if starting fluid is sprayed into the intake, then it seems to me spark is now going missing. So to safely confirm that, use your inductive timing light on any plug wire to see if you have spark.
If no spark, look to the crank sensor you just replaced, to make sure its electrical connector is properly fastened. If that seems ok check/thump the ASD power relay in the under hood power distribution box & see if it'll wake up & run.
If all that looks ok, check the PDC for blown fuses to the ECM & let us know what you find.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 AM
paw paw
Captain

BUMP:

Well Dave, how's the trouble shoot going , 429 curious minds would like to know!!!

Old 02-19-2019, 10:10 AM
Dave_w

Haven't had much time to work on it unfortunately. I have discovered that I have no spark. Ive checked the relay and even swapped it out with the spare.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:29 AM
paw paw
Captain

Ok, no spark & still none after the relay swap out, that's good feedback. We have access to the FSM in the sticky that might be helpful in your trouble shoot.
You might also find this site helpful in short cutting trouble shooting your 4banger no spark woes. Let us know how it goes. https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ch...rt-condition-2

Last edited by paw paw; 02-20-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Dave_w

So a little more Information after getting to look at a little today. Put my spark tester on coil and grounded to a valve cover bolt. Still no spark. Have to assume at this point I'm not getting voltage to the coil? I'm kinda at a loss now. Any more insight would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2005 neon crank no start