2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Can I pick some of y'alls brains ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 09:03 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Dayna
I keep forgetting to add with my previous problem and this one no codes have shown. The light does work I checked and checked for codes nothing still.

An open circuit, like a broken wire or bad ground, will often NOT set a code. As far as the computer is concerned, you turned the key off.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 06-29-2023 at 09:03 PM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn
The following users liked this post:
Dayna (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 07:35 PM
Dayna
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay I just went looking around today and went behind the fiance and check fuse 21 guess what it was broke. So she's back to running. Now did this fix the random stalling idk....we shall see. I appreciate every single one of yall for always trying to help.

Old 07-03-2023, 10:32 PM
Dayna
Amateur

Well as I type this from the side of the road it didn't fix the random cutting off when i drive it for a little while. Bummer.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:38 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Fuse 21 was a Biggie though, it powered the ECM & other things, like the in cabin Diagnostic connector, so now maybe the scan-tool will function again.

Locate the ASD power relay in the under-hood power distribution center noted in the Owner Manual page 172 & swap the ASD relay out for a like / same part number, known good power relay not needed to run the engine, as suggested in post 48 & see how it goes. More thoughts for consideration.

Dayna (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 12:41 AM
Dayna
Amateur

Originally Posted by paw paw
Fuse 21 was a Biggie though, it powered the ECM & other things, like the in cabin Diagnostic connector, so now maybe the scan-tool will function again.

Locate the ASD power relay in the under-hood power distribution center noted in the Owner Manual page 172 & swap the ASD relay out for a like / same part number, known good power relay not needed to run the engine, as suggested in post 48 & see how it goes. More thoughts for consideration.
will do this tomorrow! Also yes the obd port is working again!

paw paw (07-22-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 05:51 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Dayna
Well as I type this from the side of the road it didn't fix the random cutting off when i drive it for a little while. Bummer.

I'm wondering if there is a wire that is shorting out when you bump something underneath. That could explain the blown fuse.

Dayna (07-04-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 02:25 AM
Dayna
Amateur
Default Hopefully fixed

Well it’s been 2 days of lots of driving and praying all is well finally. The crankshaft position sensor got changed and haven’t had any issues since. Fingers crossed.

paw paw (07-22-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 11:17 AM
paw paw
Captain

Ok, good feedback & way to hang in there & not give up on your trouble-shoot. Interesting feedback on the crankshaft sensor replacement seeming to be the culprit. It's job is to tell the computer when to fire the spark plugs, so it seems it was the culprit for the random sudden stall clue you mentioned way back in post 32.

OBD-2 diagnostics is fairly sophisticated, so the crank sensor acting out should have set a trouble code clue & you said your scanner couldn't find any codes stored, set or pending, so something doesn't sound right there. Are you certain the code reader is working ok???

If you're in doubt about the code reader, we can activate the vehicle computer to display any stored trouble codes by turning the ignition switch from off to run / on (but don't go to start to crank the engine), three times in succession, remaining at On the third time. Any stored codes will be displayed in the instrument panel mileage window.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:36 AM
Dayna
Amateur

Originally Posted by paw paw
Ok, good feedback & way to hang in there & not give up on your trouble-shoot. Interesting feedback on the crankshaft sensor replacement seeming to be the culprit. It's job is to tell the computer when to fire the spark plugs, so it seems it was the culprit for the random sudden stall clue you mentioned way back in post 32.

OBD-2 diagnostics is fairly sophisticated, so the crank sensor acting out should have set a trouble code clue & you said your scanner couldn't find any codes stored, set or pending, so something doesn't sound right there. Are you certain the code reader is working ok???

If you're in doubt about the code reader, we can activate the vehicle computer to display any stored trouble codes by turning the ignition switch from off to run / on (but don't go to start to crank the engine), three times in succession, remaining at On the third time. Any stored codes will be displayed in the instrument panel mileage window.
I checked with my fiance code reader and went to advance. I had also did the on off key trick and this whole time its never thrown me a code. I didn't understand why it never did either.But for now she's up and running. My sons a head mechanic but lives in NY and tries and helps when he can and he was also lost. I did a ton of searching and it said cam and crank was a good cheap place to start. I also had changed it a while back with a cheap Amazon sensor when my car was acting up(wasn't the problem) so I figured maybe because it was a cheap China sensor it could of went bad.

Old 07-17-2023, 01:35 PM
paw paw
Captain

Well we know the vehicle computer was storing trouble code clues last fall when you posted the PO171 lean code in post #1.
No crankshaft sensor pending, or set codes makes me suspicious about replacing the crank sensor again being the fix, so don't be surprised if it doesn't fix it.

On the other hand I agree the crank sensor being of Asian inexpensive origin, causes it to be at, or close to the top of a suspect list, even if the vehicle wasn't storing a trouble code for it for some unknown reason. Would be nice for the forum to understand that unknown reason!!!

Quick Reply: Can I pick some of y'alls brains ?