2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Squeaky Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:23 PM
tmp0404
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Squeaky Breaks

All,

Some of you comment that replacing the pads and drum, MIGHT fix the problem. If this were a certainty, I would do this in a heart beat. Even if someone indicated that 90% of the time this fixed the problem, I would do it.

Since my friend is going to work on my car tomorrow, any comments would be appreciated. Also, if replacing the pads or drum did work for you, what brand did you use.

As always, thank you for your informative comments.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:41 PM
whyte69
Veteran

your rear brakes only do about 20% of your braking, so it might be worthwhile to say that converting to discs might not be the answer. You could quite possibly get away with just replacing the pads inside the drum. That's pretty easy to do or have done by a shop. Converting the drums to discs also adds unnecessary weight to your car. Racing pro's have been known to convert BACK to the drums in order to drop the 16 pounds that rear discs add.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:54 PM
casper
Legend

Try either organic pads or some brake cleaner.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:30 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grease your friend is referring to is for the pads on the backing plate that the brake shoes ride against. There are probably 3 or 4 places on the backing plate for each shoe to glide against and they will correspond to a tab on the edge of the shoe itself. These "pads" need a FILM of grease applied once in a while for the brake shoes to operate smoothly. If they are dry there is a good possibility that squeeking can occur from lack of lubrication at these contact points. Again these pads are on the backing plate NOT the brake pads-"Shoes". Never apply any type of lubricant to the faces of the actual baking surfaces.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:07 PM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: deranged

The grease your friend is referring to is for the pads on the backing plate that the brake shoes ride against. There are probably 3 or 4 places on the backing plate for each shoe to glide against and they will correspond to a tab on the edge of the shoe itself. These "pads" need a FILM of grease applied once in a while for the brake shoes to operate smoothly. If they are dry there is a good possibility that squeeking can occur from lack of lubrication at these contact points. Again these pads are on the backing plate NOT the brake pads-"Shoes". Never apply any type of lubricant to the faces of the actual baking surfaces.
That is very true

Old 01-26-2006, 12:35 PM
tmp0404

Excellent response "deranged", I'm fairly certain that is exactly what the guy said that will be working on my brakes tonight. Hopefully in about 8 hours or so, my damn squeaky brakes will be quiet, or at least until the grease wears off. I'll let you all know.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:22 PM
tmp0404

Again, 'deranged' was right on the money with his explanation. My mechanic did exactly the same thing to my 02 SXT, and squeaky breaks be gone.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:02 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to help!

Quick Reply: Squeaky Breaks