2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Squeaky Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 PM
tmp0404
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Breaks

Good day all,

I have an 02 SXT, and the damn rear brakes sqeak like all hell, I can't stand it. I took it to the dealer, and they indicated that it was a result of the brake pad surface. The pads are like new, so they did not replace them.

Any ways, I'm taking the car over to a friend, and he said that he will take the rear pads off, and use some type of brake grease. I'm guessing this will work, but will it only be temporay until the grease wears off.

Any other suggestions you might have would be appreciated, because I would certainly like to know before I take the car over to my friend this Thursday.

Thanks as always.

02 SXT
Vibrant Exhaust
Silver Star Head Lights
KYB Struts

Old 01-23-2006, 09:40 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: Squeaky Breaks

mine do the same thing i think its just a stupid thing with neons but 4 me it only happens wen its raining out and it goes away after the brakes r used 4 a little bit. i wouldnt suggest putting grease on the brakes cuz they r meant 2 stop the car not 2 b slipping with grease. its actually very embarrasing pulling up 2 something and listening 2 the brakes squeal, but its just something ive learned 2 deal with. someone put that grease on my brakes once and it only stopped the squealing 4 a little bit so im guessin it just wore off, but if anyone has another suggestion besides new braked, i would also love 2 hear it cuz i hate that dam squealing

Old 01-23-2006, 10:49 PM
BruceH

One avenue of thought s to switch to 100% organic brake shoes.

Bruce

Old 01-23-2006, 11:37 PM
whyte69
Veteran

I would recommend giving your rotors a good spray. Take a garden hose, crank it on high, with a spray head if possible, and spray it in several locations around the wheel. Take notice of all the black brake dust washing away. This is most likely the problem. Either that or you've got a rock or two in there. Hopefully the water will knock any debris loose. Avoid using grease on your brakes because this will make your braking distance increase dramatically depending on how much you use. Grease helps things move easier over surfaces and will make it hard to come to a quick stop.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:35 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

its not brake dust 4 mine at least cuz ive cleaned my brakes a number of times and the squeaking still remains.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:16 AM
orion96325
Rookie

the rear neon drum brakes are ****! get a new set of shoes and drums and cross your fingers and remember to never get them wet because the slightest moisture on the drums make the brakes sound like a bus is comming to a stop.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:53 PM
whyte69
Veteran

ideally, you could replace the rear drum brakes with read disc brakes, though that's more work than the average driver is prepared to go through. I've been toying with the idea, but I don't really have a reason to go through with it right now. They're not giving me a problem right now, so why fix it?

Old 01-24-2006, 01:26 PM
tmp0404

Thanks for all of your comments. Again, my friend will be working on the brakes this Thursday, and I'll respond back on the results, and the specifics.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:30 PM
BruceH

I am still fed up with the squealing that comes from the rear brake drums. A Chrysler technician said the squealing is "normal" and is a result of moisture that builds up in the drum. Once the drums warm up the squealing goes away.

Usually when I first start driving I will pull on the e-brake and drive for about 100 meters. This causes the drums to heat up quickly and then the squealing does disappear.

I spoke to a brake manufacturer about this "defect" in Dodge Neons and this was his response:

"I am unaware and have never heard of any issue with Neon Brake Drums.
We have never had this problem with our drums.

Brian Moffatt

Inroble International Inc."

I suspect that due to the cost and complete lack of sense of replacing a perfectly good set of brake drums and shoes (the sound is so irritating yet we are upset with Chrysler for putting on such cheap quality parts on top of the fact that they will not do anything about it because the brakes work and do not pose a safety issue) that few people have actually replaced their brakes and simply put up with the initial short-term squeal.

However, that being said, I think that a good aftermarket set of drums and shoes will rid the car of the squealing. I may get to this once all the snow disappears.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:24 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

how hard would it b 2 change 2 disks and what would i need?

Quick Reply: Squeaky Breaks