2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Oil Light Comes On at Idle RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 02:20 PM
bandj1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Light Comes On at Idle RPM

Man I have the exact same problem on my 03 SXT, everytime I come to a stop, my RPM's drop, and my oil light comes on, I can hold down on the brake and give a little gas, bring the RPM's up to 1000, and it wont come back on again till i come to the next stop. Also sometimes every now and then, I can get in, crank it up, and go to take off, and it stutters, little mild backfiring, if i give it gas it doesnt go, it just pops and stutters for maybe 30 to 45 seconds, if i lightly pump the gas, it goes away, and it might not happen again for several days.
Oil levels are fine, and no leaks, just changed the spark plugs and wire and it seemed to have helped (at least I thought) but within a day or so it was back to the oil light coming on again.
I had a 98 model that NEVER had one problem, I put 150,000 miles on it in 4 years, and never even changed the brake pads, they looked like they were only worn about 1/4 the way down.
My 03 SXT, had to have a transmission at just under 70,000 miles, it went out with no warning or anything, one second it was fine the next it wouldnt move.
Trying to decide if I should trade it, or fix it. Hope someone can come up with a fix for it, I would rather not be drilling into my throttle body

Old 06-14-2006, 02:46 AM
kishore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Light Comes On at Idle RPM

It seeems I had two faults at the same time.

01. The oil switch was failing resulting in the oil light.

On replacing th oil switch the oil light problem disappered and the idle rpm problem lessened.

02. thorough cleaning of the throttle body got rid of all the rough idle problems.

Thanks to all who replied.

Quick Reply: Oil Light Comes On at Idle RPM