2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Bolt On's....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bolt On's....

Hey guys, im just wondering what do you think i could/should do to make my '01 neon es 5-spd man. a little more responsive without having to do too much custom work for parts to fit.... so far im considering a 65 or 60mm TB, RT or Indy Intake manifold.... and im not sure about what header to buy... any thoughts anyone?

Old 09-30-2006, 07:53 PM
timplett
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bolt On's....

About the TB, there's been discussion on here before, 60 mm is good, 55mm is best if you can find one, so don't go 65 mm for sure. Again, headers have been discussed a lot, it seems that until you've done some heavy modding, the stock one is fine, you'll gain a lot more from a catback. CAI is good if you don't have one already. Depends on your plans for the car. If you want to turbo it eventually it's not worth getting a CAI or a header because you'll be replacing those parts again.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:17 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Everything timplett said abov is correct. As for the header, you will see very minimal gains with any shortube header, the only way to see any real gains is through a Longtube Header and better flowing catback exhaust. I'm not sure of exact difference between the Magnum and Non-Mag header, but the Magnum header is the same exact header that Borla sells...minus the uber nice coating that is.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:04 AM
Izero
Champion

ok so if i get the 55mm TB then what else should or will i need to do along with that...?

Old 10-01-2006, 06:19 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Indy intake manifold is great, but requires lots of work to get it to fit right from what I've heard. A set of MSD Super Conductor wires and a good set of plugs will improve the throttle response. Kirk Racing has a long tube header, but it's not the easiest job putting a long tube header on since you need to move everything back unless your removing the cat. A set of Prothane motor mount inserts will transfer the power to the ground quicker and more effectively. The bolt-ons for a Neon are fairly typical to most any car, CAI, exhaust, PCM, ignition, etc.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Izero
Champion

so is it easier to put the magnum intake manifold on instead?

Old 10-01-2006, 06:01 PM
nicks2kes
Veteran

i would get a good cold air intake and 60mm throttle body, set of motor mount inserts, short throw shifter with bushings, and a catback exhaust. u will feel a difference

Old 10-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Izero
Champion

i've got the CAI, and im considering a 60mm TB, the short throw is on the way, and im not sure what motor mounts to get.... anyone have link? as for the catback.... ill def. go for it once i get some more $ in the bank. but as for the 60mm TB do i need to do anything else to the motor along with that or is the TB just a bolt on that i can drop right in without modifying anything else....?

Old 10-01-2006, 06:16 PM
nicks2kes
Veteran

i would ether go with motor mount inserts off of ebay, or solid motor mounts off modern performance: agp race motor mounts

Old 10-01-2006, 06:49 PM
timplett
Veteran

The TB can just be bolted on without any other work, although as I mentioned earlier, research has been done that proves the 55 mm is actually a slightly better match for the Neon, and boring the intake of the manifold would be a good idea because there's not much point to a larger TB if the intake hole is still the same as stock size. There will still be gains without boring the intake manifold but not as significant. Seeing as the stock one is plastic, it should be a fairly simple DIY project to bore the opening for better flow.

Just for the record, any intake and exhaust mods (other than turbo) simply improve efficiency of the exhisting engine, and won't require any other engine work, though they will benefit from it.

Quick Reply: Bolt On's....