2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Header installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:41 PM
moobit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header installation

I barely got my headers a few days ago and it seems like its going to be a pain just by looking where its going to go. Anybody have tips on what to do and what not to do and how to's too? Should i install the downpipe with it and will i need to weld anything on even though its considered just a bolt on? I will also be getting my r/t muffler in a few, should i just wait till i get that and tell a muffler shop to do it all at one, or if they even can? Anyone know if there is any instruction somewhere on how to do this installation?? thanks.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:04 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker
Default RE: Header installation

What header did you get??

I have the tsuido ( or OBX) header and downpipe, i am realizing now that i should have just waited and got the long tube header. First of the downpipe IS NOT street leagal Anywhere in the us. And It does not sound good. After about 3 months the expansion chamber started falling apart. So i went to have a Cat put on and for a california leagal cat it is going to cost me $475 to have it put in. For me the header has been a hassle. And unless it is a long tube header not woth it at all, basically the short tube header and downpipe might give you 1-2 hp, and thas a big maby.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:11 PM
moobit
Professional

Im not sure what brand it is. But it is stainless steel. It looks like those obx and tsudo headers. I know those downpipes are not legal, i live in cali aswell, but i still want to put it on. Aslong as it goes on right ill be ok, which is why im asking all those questions.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:34 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

Yeah it is not that hard to put on. It makes life much easer if you use the tire stand's that you roll your car onto instead of jackstands if gives you alot more room and is much more secure. It took me about 3hrs to do and i used jackstands. Thier is not many tricks to doing it pretty straight forward. One thing you do have to do is fix the rear O2 sensor, eather with the defouler trick or you can buy a little sensor to hook it up too, do a searsh on O2 defouler and thier a few threads on how to do it. Some one installing thies needs to make a write up and take some pics, maby ill go back on day and do it!

good luck with the install and post some final pics

Old 10-10-2006, 01:40 AM
camlen1098
Professional

I have those same headers and I suggest, at least for the header, to have a shop put 'em on.....bout $100-150, depends on the shop. The DP is a direct bolt-on though and you should be able to do it yourself with little probs...

Old 10-10-2006, 03:54 AM
moobit
Professional

so i wont need any type of welding right? All i know im going to get the check engine light due to the O2 sensor thing but ill read up about that later.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:03 AM
camlen1098
Professional

ORIGINAL: moobit

so i wont need any type of welding right? All i know im going to get the check engine light due to the O2 sensor thing but ill read up about that later.
nope no welding.....only a clamp and two nuts. and on the top end four bolts. as for the 02 sensor if you want I can PM ya how to get around it.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:20 AM
moobit
Professional

thats sounds great! I want to be prepared with everthing. So will i need to buy extra bolts and the clamp, or can i use the stock ones? thanks.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:38 AM
leadspud
Professional

It's not that hard. I did mine in a little more than an hour. With a jack and stands. Have fun.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:51 AM
moobit
Professional

geez, ill try to have fun. Now i need to borrow some stands and a jack, cause my jack just popped a few weeks ago. So that PM with all that info would be great. thanks.

Quick Reply: Header installation