2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

? about howell head porting services.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 02:52 PM
stuff03
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about howell head porting services.

Howell automotive has the head porting services, they have the stage 1 through stage 6. Lets say i just wanted to add a crane 10 or a 12 cam, crane valve springs, and keep everything on the bottom end of the engine stock. What stage would i need to go with to work the best with the bottom end stock. I have cold air intake, throttle body, underdrive pulley, header, high flow cat and cat back.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
fullbuilt
All Star
Default RE: ? about howell head porting services.

the best would be full race port. but you wouldnt need any porting for that.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:26 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

as far as head porting i would suggest you learn to do it yourself its not hard but it does take a lot of time. the only place i could find the right grinders and oil was at mondella tech. school. if you try using dremmel youll be at it for weeks. by the time your done it will cost alittle less and youll be able to do your friends heads for half the price.$$$

Old 11-20-2006, 07:54 PM
stuff03
Professional

So if i just got a head that was already rebuilt to stock specs, so basically it was brand new or of like new quality, would it be feasible to buy the top end performance rebuild kit from modernperformance? it come with rocker arms, perfromance cam and cam gear, and aftermarket springs and retainers, and all of the gaskets to complete the job? I could install all the parts myself, the head itself wouldnt need anything done to it, and for about 1500$ i would have a ported head with all the goodies ready to install... Correct? Would this be feasible or is there a better option?

Old 11-20-2006, 08:04 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

no unless your heads cracked id stay with that once you clean out the carbon she will run like new. and from that point it wount matter if the new or used.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:26 AM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

hey fullbuilt Can you post a little how to on doing it yourself???? I have done an ATV motor before but not an engine this big. Always wanted to just did not have the ***** without help. But now i have a extra complete motor!!!

Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 AM
fullbuilt
All Star

its not easy to explane over the net but ill try.step one and this is a good one even if you dont port. do a chemical wash, you can use a kaosen base a even simple green. completely submerge the head over night, then using a wire brush clean the carbon off the intake exgaust and valve area. dont get detailed just get the chunks and rinse out what you can. pull out the head and stripit down bare( you can leave in the cam seals) using a dremel with a sand wrapand some mondella porting oil its the only thin i forned that dosent smoke and still keeps the aluminum from chunking and get detailed. dont avoid your valve seat but dont go hard on it eather every thing else sand the hell out of it. wipe it clean with a towel and dunk it back in the washer lit it set for a couple hours then wipe it out again. any questions so far?

Old 11-21-2006, 04:20 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

If i do this wont i need a ported intake manifold? Or will it still make a diffrence with the stock manifold?

Old 11-21-2006, 04:34 PM
fullbuilt
All Star

it will make a monster difference even with a stock intake manafold. the hp will be any ware from 15 to 25 at the wheels but the big part would be your powerband will snap in right away and your dyno run wount spike it will platoo

Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

now, what you explaned is porting the ports were the intake bolts to the head. Do i also remove the valves and do those??

Quick Reply: ? about howell head porting services.