2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Found the Real Problem Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:08 PM
tooslow
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help.... I've Got NO LOW BEAMS!

junk yard is your best bet you can't get the plug separate as far as I know

Old 01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help.... I've Got NO LOW BEAMS!

yea i bet i cant get the plug separate but there's no harm in trying... lol if i can i might just grab two of them if they're cheap enough.......but if i cant then i guess ill just buy the wire with it and then spend a few hours rewiring the stupid thing.... uhg.... such a pain.....lol

Old 01-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Found the Real Problem Need some help...

ok so i called all the salvage yards and auto parts stores around here and no one has that little plastic POS, so i went to the dealer, with my multifuntion switch in hand, and they told me that the part is gonna cost me about $62.... and that is only for about 6 inches of wire plus the plastic connector.... god i hate them... well the part number is "5183442AA" just in case anyone else is having the same problem as me :-D.... ill let y'all know how/if it is working tomorrow when i have the part......

Old 01-03-2007, 09:27 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Ok I'm kind of jacking Izero's thread but i didnt feel like making a new one...my problem is my fog lights just quit working suddenly one night. I replaced boith bulbs and they still do not work, the light connectors look good also. Could this problem be my multi-switch? The light on the dash doesnt even come up so nothing related to the fog lights work...any ideas??

Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Izero...what part are you looking for exactly? The female 9007 connector that your bulbs plug into? I may be able to refer you to a website to get them if you need either male or female connector. 03neonrt, that would probably be my guess. I would check fuses first, but if all look good it is most likely the multifunction switch. Do your blinkers still function? What about high beams?

Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 PM
ewetho
All Star

LowSlowNeon he took his multifunction switch in with him. He needed what was called a pigtail to that device to splice back into the factory harness. He may still need to go back a bit further and splice more wire back into place to correct the melted wire.

Some of the less common (Connector style/types/shaped/orginal design) connectors are more expensive. Sounds like they got you good anyway. Some at ford get there but parts definitely got their margin that time.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Yeah everything else still works, high beams, blinkers, etc...its just the fog lights...

Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 AM
ewetho
All Star

03neonRT ---

If the multi-function switch turn it on sure. I don't have fog lights forgive me. But also check fuses and relays. Relay can just be momentarily/permanently swapped with another.

With a wireing schematic check you have power and ground to the switch and then also check at your fuses and relays. Should find the problem in short order.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 PM
jay2679

Hey guys i have the exact same friggen problem. Was driving home from work and noticed a smell of plastic burning. Took the casing off the steering colum and took off the multifunction switch and oh boy its fried. Connector is totally burned . Picked up a new multifunction switch from dealer which costed about 73 w/ tax. They didnt have a wiring harness in stock so i will have to order. Im going to the junk yard this weekend to find one. Does anyone know what years this harness goes back on ? 2000,01,02 ?? I will take pics and update . Is this a really pain in the *** to get the harness out? How far does it go into the radio or to the passenger side? Do we need to take the entire dash out to replace the harness? Whats a good method to just splice in a new connector ? Does the dealer just sell connectors for the multifunction switch with few inches of wires to splice in? If someone could let me know i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 AM
inthewerks
Veteran

is everyone with the burning harness problem running higher wattage bulbs?? atpep boysthey sell a splice in harness for the 9007's where the bulb plugs in at to handle those higher wattage bulbs. like 10 bucks each or close to it anyways. just for future refrence so people can stop getting ripped by the dealership.

Quick Reply: Found the Real Problem Need some help...