The Official 2nd Gen FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:37 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Official 2nd Gen FAQ

Miscellaneous 2nd Gen Information

Q: What are the differences between the 2000-2005 Neon's?
A: Several things changed during the life of the 2nd Generation Neon...first of all, the front fascia was changed in 2001 (and also in 2002 for the R/T), and again in 2003. Other changes in 2003 were the "unibody" headlight design which combined the turn signal and headlight into one unit. The rear bumper was also changed in 2003 along with redesigned tailight housings. This change means that the front and rear fascias (including headlights and taillights) are incompatible from the 00-02 and 03-05 2nd Generation Neons.

One of the biggest changes in 2003 was the implimentation of the Next Generation Controller (NGC) which took the place of the older SBECII Powertrain Control Module (PCM) system. The NGC was used on almost all Dodge/Chrysler products from 2003-2005 and is still widely controversial to its affects on the Neon. The NGC has the limited capability of balancing Air/Fuel ratios in order to keep power levels at stock levels so emissions and relative gas mileage would stay constant. It is still disputed how much control NGC has on regulating power output, but it is still safe to say that any modification done to an NGC Neon will result in a gain of power relative to what a non-NGC Neon would see...

2nd Generation Dodge Neon General Maintenance and Info
rmation

Q: What type of spark plugs should I use and what gap?
A: Use either stock Champion or NGK Iridium and gap them to 0.035”-0.040”. The Neon’s waste spark ignition system sees neither benefit nor gain from Platinum or “Split-fire” plugs. In some cases, misfire and premature spark plug deterioration can result when Platinum plugs are used on the 2.0L SOHC engine.

Q: What type of fluid should I use in my transmission, auto or manual?
A: For both an automatic and manual transmission Neon you should use Mopar ATF+4 or an equivalent such as Redline MTL, Valvoline ATF+4, or Royal Purple Synchromesh. Mopar MTF can be used in MTx Neon’s (factory fill from 00-02) but it will be more expensive.

Q: What oil should I use?
A: From 00-04 DCx recommends 5w-30 while the 2005 has 5w-20 as the recommended oil viscosity. However, this change is irrelevant and either can be used in ALL 2nd Gen Neon’s.

Q: What is the rev and speed limiter?
A: The rev limiter for all 2nd Gen Neon’s is 6750. On 00-02 models an aftermarket PCM can be purchased that will raise the limiter to 8000 rpm’s and eliminate the speed limiter. On 03-05 Neon’s Megasquirt must be used in order to eliminate both the RPM and speed limiter. The speed limiter for the SE and SXT trim levels is roughly 120mph, while the R/T and ACR do not have a speed limiter.

Q: My Check Engine Light (CEL) is on, what do I do?
A: Turn the ignition key all the way forward - not to the point where the car starts, just to the point where all the lights come on. Do it in this sequence: ON-OFF-ON-OFF- ON…keep a close eye on your odometer. You will see a series of codes display, followed by the word "donE"...these codes will tell you why the "Check Engine Light" is coming on. Follow this link and you’re done: https://dodgeforum.com/m_409789/tm.htm

Q: I got my error codes and fixed the problem, how do I turn off the CEL?
A: Disconnect the negative terminal on your battery for 5-10 minutes and pump the brakes to eliminate any residual charge. You can also pull the fuel pump relay fuse for 5-10 minutes.

Q: I changed my spark plugs and one or all were full of oil, what’s wrong?
A: Your spark plug tube seals need to be changed. It’s an easy job and the seals can be bought from any auto parts store or the dealer. You will need to remove and replace your valve cover gasket as well.

Q: What are the engine specs for the neon?
A: The SOHC is rated at 132HP @ 5600 RPM and 130 ft/lbs of torque @ 4600 RPM. The R/T and ACR’s “Magnum High Output” engine is rated at 150HP @ 6600 RPM and 135 ft/lbs of torque at 4800 RPM.

Q: What Octane should I use in my neon?
A: Standard SOHC engines are recommended to use 87 octane gasoline while the “Magnum High Output” SOHC is recommended to use 91 octane premium fuel and higher.

Q: What do these abbreviations or acronyms mean?

A: MTX = Manual Transaxle (transmission)
ATX = Automatic Transaxle (transmission)
CAI =Cold Air Intake
UDP = Underdrive Pulley
CEL =Check Engine Light
PCM = Powertrain Control Module or ECU=Engine Control Unit
MM = Motor Mount
FSM = Factory Service Manual
OBD =On Board Diagnostics
PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve
TB =Throttle Body
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin
WOT = Wide Open Throttle
N/A = Naturally Aspirated
F/I = Forced Induction
MS = Megasquirt
STH = Short Tube Header
LTH = Long Tube Header
STS = Short Throw Shifter
LSD = Limited Slip Differential
ACR = American Club Racer
R/T = Road and Track
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
VC = Valve Cover
WGA = Wastegate Actuator
WHP = Wheel Horse Power
WTQ= Wheel Torque
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor
SOHC = Single Overhead Cam
MAP = Manifold Air Pressure Sensor or Manifold Absolute Pressure
MBC = Manual Boost Controller
FMIC = Front Mount Intercooler
FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator
DCX = Daimler Chrysler
DOHC = Dual Overhead Cam
BOV = Blow-off Valve
A/F = Air/Fuel Ratio
A/C = Air Conditioning
ABS = Anti-Lock Braking System
HID= HighIntensity Discharge

Performance Questions and Interchangeability

Q: My neon didn't come with a tach, can I get one with a tach and put it in?
A: Yes, you can get a cluster with a tach and swap it in. The only Neon’s that did not come with a tach are the “SE” trim, so all you should have to do is locate a cluster from an SXT, R/T, or SRT-4 and do the swap. They are totally plug and play, however, you will lose your current mileage and there is no way to swap over your current mileage to a used cluster.

Q: What is MegaSquirt?
A: MegaSquirt is a grassroots standalone engine control system with an open source code and universal application to control anything from fuel injectors, to spark timing, all the way to boost control and even nitrous. Follow this link for more details: https://dodgeforum.com/m_677291/tm.htm

Q: Can I use the factory SRT-4 turbocharger on my 2.0L Neon?
A:Yes, you can use the SRT-4's factory TD04 turbocharger, manifold, and many other parts found on the SRT-4. Please follow this link for more specific details about this process: https://dodgeforum.com/m_540330/tm.htm

Q: What other engines can swap into the 2nd Gen neon?
A: A 2.4 turbo engine from a 03-05 SRT-4 (or PT GT) can be swapped in or the N/A 2.4 from any year PT Cruiser.

Q: What do I need to get the SRT-4 engine in my 2nd Gen?
A: For the SRT-4 turbo engine, you will need the following parts:

Engine and Tranny
Complete Engine Wiring Harness
Complete Engine Bay Wiring Harness
Power Steering Pump, lines, and cooler
Clutch master and slave cylinder
Clutch/Brake Pedal assembly
Intercooler Piping
Intercooler
Radiator Hoses
Lower Motor Mounts (the hole in the lower mount is larger for larger bolts)
SRT PCM (wont' need the bracket if swapping into an 03+)
Axles (and half shaft if it isn't on the engine)
Coolant Bottle
Fuel Line from tank to engine bay
Fuel Pump
Flex Fuel line from solid fuel line to fuel rail
Short evap hose that comes from the purge valve
All vacuum lines and the 3 selonids
o2 Sensors
Turbo Housing + o2 Housing
Lower Control Arms (they're stronger yet the same in shape)

Some options parts would include:

SRT Power steering rack (it's shorter)
Knuckles
Flexiable Brake Lines
Calipers
Rotors

Q: What transmission do I use with the swap?

A: You can use either the standard SRT-4 T-850 transmission or the stock Neon 3.55 or 3.94 tranny (the 3.55 came with the SE/SXT and the 3.94 came with the R/T and ACR). I would highly suggest using the T-850 for ease of install and its “proven” record with the 2.4L engine.

Q: Can I swap my rear drums to disc brakes?

A: Yes, you can either use the rear brakes from an SRT-4 or an R/T-ACR. You will need the following for the swap: Knuckle/hub assembly, rotors, calipers, brake lines and e-brake cables.

Q: Can I swap in a manual transmission into my automatic Neon?
A: Yes, you can and will need the following: transmission (3.55 or 3.94), modular clutch, passenger side axle, clutch cable and clips, shifter cables and clips, tranny side motor mount from a manual transmission 2gn, MTX PCM from your year car, shifter and shifter base, clutch and brake pedal assembly from 2gn.

Q: What engine upgrades should I do to my neon for more power?
A: Just check out the 2nd Gen Performance thread for details!! https://dodgeforum.com/m_665840/tm.htm

Q: Do those intake modules on eBay work? What about the electric supercharger or tornado?
A: No, there is no cheap HP out there. Think about this, if they worked, the fastest neons in the world be using them!

Will SRT-4 seats fit in my 2nd Gen Neon?
A: Yes, all the Neon seats are interchangeable and bolt right in without modifications.

Handling Questions

Q: Will SRT-4 OEM struts and/or aftermarket suspension products work on my Neon?

A: Yes, any suspension products made for the SRT-4 will fit on any year 2nd Gen Neon.

Q: How can I make my car handle better?
A: Add sway bars, better struts, Koni’s are the best, and some stiffer springs. Mopar used to sell Mopar high rates but are now discontinued. Strut bars don’t help as much as people think they do, but do look nice.
Q: What are the best struts for my neon?
A: Koni’s inserts are the best, but you can also choose from the many brands of coilover suspension or Tokico HP Blues struts.

Q: How do I lower my neon without losing comfort?

A: You really can’t. Lowering your neon requires shorter, stiffer springs. The Neon has very little jounce travel to begin with, so reducing it will make the ride more harsh.

Q: OK, I want to lower or better handling on my neon, what springs should I use?
A: There are many brands available, you can choose from Progress, Goldline, Eibach, Mopar, TEIN, and the various cheap knock-off E-Bay brands. Eibach is the closest thing to stock ride “comfort” while delivering a descent drop with their “Pro-Kit”. An average drop is roughly 1.5” front and back.

Q: What about sway bars?

A: You can choose from Mopar, Hotchkis, Progress, or Eibach. All of these sway bars are an improvement over stock, but even stock PT Cruiser GT, SRT-4, or R/T-ACR sway bars will give better handling over stock. Hotchkis has the largest sway bars available (29mm front/27mm rear) and is arguably the best out of all the brands.

Tires and Related Information

Q: What is the bolt pattern on the neon and offset?
A: All Neons (including SRT-4) have a 5x100 with a 40mm offset.

Q: Will the SRT rims fit on my 2nd Gen?
A: Yes they will, but the SRT-4's stock tires will rub. You will need to run 205/40-17, 205/45-17, or 215/40-17's size tires if you still have stock struts.

Q: What size tire should I use if I am getting bigger rims and still have stock struts?
A: 205/45-16, 205/50-16, 215/45-16, 205/40-17, 205/45-17, and 215/40-17 are some common tire specifications.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
rsalgado29
Default RE: The Official 2nd Gen FAQ

iS THIS REALLY TRUE?
NGC, as I said, pretty much means the ECU is locked. It cannot be re-programmed or re-flashed for performance. It also adjusts itself, so that means there ARE no air/fuel maps. The information from the sensors are fed into the ECU and constantly adjusted to meet a certain criteria.

This means all mods that you do are almost voided out by the ECU itself.

I got that from a guy at car domain and I don't really know much about cars but am learning.
My neon is an 05 SXT AND THE ONLY MODS THAT I MADE WHERE THE STRAIGHT PIPEING WITH CAT ONLY, CAI AND JET CHIP STAGE 2 BUT I DIDNT FEEL ANY DIFFERENCE AND AM PLANING TO BUY THE PULLEY IS THAT BAD?

Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Andpto
All Star

Chips dont work on neons. 00-05

03neonrt is there a reason for taking it off the sticky? just wondering

Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 PM
djmagic
Record Breaker

03 if you buy the lights and bumpers they are interchangable right? Also the srt-4 thing, could a pt cruiser turbo tranny work?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: rsalgado29

iS THIS REALLY TRUE?
NGC, as I said, pretty much means the ECU is locked. It cannot be re-programmed or re-flashed for performance. It also adjusts itself, so that means there ARE no air/fuel maps. The information from the sensors are fed into the ECU and constantly adjusted to meet a certain criteria.

I got that from a guy at car domain and I don't really know much about cars but am learning.
My neon is an 05 SXT AND THE ONLY MODS THAT I MADE WHERE THE STRAIGHT PIPEING WITH CAT ONLY, CAI AND JET CHIP STAGE 2 BUT I DIDNT FEEL ANY DIFFERENCE AND AM PLANING TO BUY THE PULLEY IS THAT BAD?
your wrong about the NGC... i made 219 wheel hp and 244 wheel tq on an ngc controlled sxt.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: rsalgado29

iS THIS REALLY TRUE?

I really more-or less meant the small, minor bolt ons. The Jet Chip does NOTHING, as I said, in 03+ vehicles. However, glad you signed up though!

It's pretty typical not feeling too much. The pulley will help get some power back from your accesseries. If you want a stereo system, say no to an UDP.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:05 AM
Adionik
Champion

The UDP made my AC run like ****. It takes forever to get cold now and DEFFINETELY is not as cold as it was before. It's just now that i'm starting to use it again after the UDP install that I can really tell the difference.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:21 AM
rsalgado29

Then why do they sell the chip? and why do they lie that is going to give you hp?what does it do to the 03+neons? what difference do they make.

Graphite how you do that? with a turbo!.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

^^^
1) to make money, i have the chip too, except mine is sitting somewhere in my trunk

2) Graphite did that with the driver mod

Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: neon03se

2) Graphite did that with the driver mod
Exactly what he said... the 10psi helped a bit too

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen FAQ