2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 PM
cleveman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel System

Ok im new to the website and igot a 2000 neon.
But besides that my fuel pump gave out and i was putting a walbro 255 on it and from what ive read i can run it as long as the car has a fuel return line.
So my question is.
Is this true???
Do neons have fuel return lines?
If not where can i get it?
Any ideas Im open to any sugestions.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:04 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: Fuel System

well i have the walbro on my 04 with no return line. i hope thats not bad lol. we don't have a return line thoughi dont think

Old 03-20-2007, 12:37 PM
tooslow
Veteran

you don't need a return line the only time you would need a return is if you want too control the feul presure

Old 03-20-2007, 01:27 PM
cleveman

thanks for the replys i was just wondering if that would hurt it cause if i put that fuel pump pushing alot more fuel i didnt know where it would go unless it just broke something else like my injectors or something. Would that not be pushing alot of pressure or would it just send what is needed?

Old 03-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well the PCM is programmed for the stock pump which is a lot smaller than the walbro 255, so the PCM will think that it is sending the same amount of fuel, but in reality it will be sending quite a bit more, so yes you might need a return line, with a Fuel pressure reg. because under heavy load... lets say you flooring it for w/e reason, youcould end up blowing one of the fuel lines, or possibly damaging one of the injectors. If you think about it your trying to put a lot more fuel into a space where the volume does not change, so you will be increasing your fuel pressure dramatically, which unless you are running a turbo with a return line, FPR, and an A/F controller. among other things, but thats just my thought on it. personally i would not be willing to risk blowing one of my fuel lines or screwing up the injectors. In spikey's case i think that maybe he is either lucky or i could be wrong, but it also depends on what mods you have on your car. if its 100% stock you could be looking at much worse fuel economy, among the previously stated problems. but either way good luck with it, let me know how it turns out.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:47 PM
tooslow
Veteran

izero,
....there is no way too increase the feul pressure if you have the stock feul pressure regulator hooked up so YOU WON'T RUN RICH

The walboro has potentail too flow more but if the motor does notrequire more fuel, it wont give more since its being regulated. The feul pump only job is too keep the pressure at 58psi. Sounless you ad bigger injecters or the change the pulse width of the injecter it cant run rich at 58psi

Old 03-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i see, thanks for clearifying... i guess i can go tell my mechanic to go f$%# himself....

Old 03-20-2007, 06:25 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

yea my a/f havent changed at all since i put the new pump in unless my wb is lying to me

Quick Reply: Fuel System