View Poll Results: What's in your engine?
Mobil 1
28.81%
Royal Purple
6.21%
Amsoil
5.65%
Valvoline Full Synthetic
7.34%
Pennzoil Synthetic
5.65%
Castrol Synthetic
6.78%
Quaker State
6.21%
Havoline Synthetic
0.56%
Whatever the shop sticks in
0.56%
Synthetic Blend (specify in a post)
3.39%
Rotella
6.21%
Conventional (dino) oil (specify in a post)
22.60%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmckenna
Sulfated ash is how much solid material is left when the oil burns. A high ash content will tend to form more sludge and deposits in the engine after it makes it's way past the rings and enters into the combustion chamber thus burning off thus, ash is created, thus plugs will foul and the 02 sensor and CAT start to load up with deposits. Point here isils with lower ash content is the better choice and, Castrol GTX is right up there on the list for low ash content under AMS despite being a conventional motor oil.

On the topic of sludge: When motor oil becomes fully saturated with contaminants, debris and particulate matter settle out of the oil onto the internal engine parts and form sludge. This is why it is so critical to perform oil changes before this level of contamination is reached. If your changing your oil as instructed, sludge is a non issue.

Synths have always been anti-sludge due to not being petroleum based but, there's still quite a few on the market that do not include any detergents and, those do tend to bake on to the internal parts of the engine despite changing the oil out as directed by their recommendations.

One oil that does not contain any detergents was M1 and other racing oils.

The reason why Mobile 1 (and some others) do not include detergents is to avoid fouling plugs in racing / hi rmp applications. It is run w/o detergents and it is not kept in the pan for very long either.

CM
how do you know that the deposits weren't caused by an additive or something that the owner was using? one guy on DF has been using synthetic from 0-54k miles and his engine looks great under the valve covers

didnt the magnum engines have problems with sludge using dino, even when oil was changed at the specified intervals?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 AM
97ramnj
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used to run STRICTLY royal purple and that was it, my old motor went so i took it apart the oil pan and valve covers had so much sludge on them it was ridiculous. i had to scrape it off took me almost an hour. Been running Quaker state extreme durability 10-30 since i put my new motor in....bout 10k miles later no sludge. lookin good

Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by matty675
how do you know that the deposits weren't caused by an additive or something that the owner was using? one guy on DF has been using synthetic from 0-54k miles and his engine looks great under the valve covers

didnt the magnum engines have problems with sludge using dino, even when oil was changed at the specified intervals?
I'm not quite sure on your question in regards to the section you quoted above as that's a general statement regarding ash content but, I'm the original owner of my Dodge and, I ran nothing but synths for 200K plus miles right up to the start of 2010 and, upon tearing down the top end of the motor, it was loaded with crusty baked on matter. Remembering too that, the synthetics of yesteryear may not be exactly the same formulations of later years and current.

As to why some get the crusty matter and some don't, is not clearly understood on my end nor, others on this site, judging by all the questions going around. I've got an email into AMS oil about this and am waiting on an answer from them.

I myself, never ran any additives with synthetic per the oil manufacturers recommendations against doing so. They warn against adding chemicals into their product and, in some cases, interferes with the lubrication properties of their products.

CM

Old 02-23-2011, 11:08 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

so you would say synthetic oils of today would be less prone to depositing the "crust"?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by matty675
so you would say synthetic oils of today would be less prone to depositing the "crust"?
No, I wouldn't assume one way or the other in regards to your question. To make a statement like that without testing or any scientific proof / evidence would be misleading and, possibly incorrect.

I have emailed technical support at AMS in hope of speaking directly to a chemist to ask them some technical questions regarding to lifter clack that I've experienced (only with synths) and this crusty matter inside my engine and quite a few others that I've seen.

CM

Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

do modern engines that are factory spec'd to run synthetics get the crust?

Old 02-25-2011, 04:19 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

I have no idea to be honest. I'm not even sure what causes this to occur. I did witness however, a Chevy vette that had lifter clacking out in the hot months out west. It sounded and ran better when running dino oil (Valvoline) and, that's what the owner chose to go with because, it felt better to him and, it sure was a lot quieter than the OEM oil which was M1.

Again, some that state they don't get the particulate build up when running synths while others claim they do. I'd love to run AMS oil in my Dodge again if it worked. I used it, I ran it and tested it out for quite some time. It just doesn't sound right in my engine thus, the only reason I went back to dino oil.

Honestly, I would love to go back to AMS and not have to change the oil every three weeks like I'm doing now. I like the 10-15K OCI as it saves on the environment and cost of oil and filters and, I like the idea of synthetic oil in general.

CM

Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I try to get mobil 1 whenever there is an autozone special, but I will settle for any full synthetic. I do like the mobil 1 filter or the K&N filter.

I used to get Quaker State torque power synthetic. Worked really well.

ALSO, I always substitute 1 quart for lucas oil stabilizer. I have a gallon ug handy at all times.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:14 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
ALSO, I always substitute 1 quart for lucas oil stabilizer. I have a gallon ug handy at all times.
What does oil stabilize do for you specifically?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

10w30 mobil super 5k with a qt. of rislone and a puralator pure one filter.

Quick Reply: Motor Oil