2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Advice on transmission core swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 01:45 AM
BooUrns!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on transmission core swap

Hi, I have a couple 2nd gen rams (2001 & 1999) that have 46re transmission issues. I was inspired by this thread to bypass the rebuild shop and DIY it. Unfortunately renovations took too long and winter is coming.

I recently bought another used 46re transmission not realizing it was fitted for a 2002 Ram 2500. This new 46re has the porting for a 5 pin transmission range sensor while my trucks had a 3pin neutral safety switch. Thanks to Computerjunkman for posting about this 46re difference).

So now I'm looking for solutions. I have three transmissions staring back at me in my garage. I was looking into just getting the 5 pin TRS but my truck is wired for three pin. I think replacing the connector and the TRS switch will be a losing battle since the rest of the truck won't be programmed for this change.

I'm looking at the 2002 transmission and thinking, the core of this thing should be identical, why not pull it and put it in the housing of my old 46re? I can just re-use the old valve body from the 1999, everything should match. Riiiight?

Please tell me why this is a horrible idea and how it will end in failure.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Can you just swap the 5 pin switch for a 3 pin? Or are things too different for that approach?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:22 PM
BooUrns!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think so, the bell housing itself has a larger opening for the sensor with a bolt on fitting for the newer 5 pin TRS. It looks like Sonnax makes an adapter so you can hookup an older 3 pin 46re to the newer 5pin TRS but I didn't find the reverse setup.

I'd rather not open this up if I had an alternative. If I had more time I would just rebuild it myself. I'm not going after the OD unit, just the tranny.

Late edit: I think Sonnax also has an adapter for late model 46RE to use the three pin NSS. I'll try and order this instead. Will continue the rebuild for trans #2.

Thanks

Last edited by BooUrns!; 10-27-2015 at 02:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice on transmission core swap