2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:52 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Actually, WD-40 is nothing more than kerosene with other ingredients tossed into the mix.
I call it weasel ****, you won't find it on my self or in my tool box. Its a missed used product by most, just like duct tape. I do see they have a few new products in their line now that still use the WD-40 on the can but are for different purposes, stupid idea. People don't read labels anymore they will just grab the first can that says WD-40.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I call it weasel ****, you won't find it on my self or in my tool box. Its a missed used product by most, just like duct tape. I do see they have a few new products in their line now that still use the WD-40 on the can but are for different purposes, stupid idea. People don't read labels anymore they will just grab the first can that says WD-40.
^ I never use WD-40, it don't work. I use DexMerc ATF + either turpentine, kerosene, or the best which is acetone.

As far as ATF in the power steering pump, it will NEVER hurt any Dodge or Ford power steering pump prior to 2003, in fact, it is recommended by both Ford and Dodge if you dig deep enough. Ford had a nasty problem of pump seals failing in the late 80s and early 90s, the problem wasn't the seal, but that people used PS fluid, not ATF. Put ATF in it, no matter how bad the leak, and it will seal up, given enough time.

I've been running ATF in the Dodge PS pump now, huge difference in temperatures and feel. I put DexMerc ATF in it, as that's what I was using in the tranny (BTW use ATF+3 in a 1996 Dodge Ram unless you know what you are doing), and the feel in the steering was awesome, it made sooo much less noise, and stayed waaaaay cooler.

So don't worry about putting ATF in your PS pump, it will NOT hurt it, PS fluid WILL hurt it. The only PS fluid I use in my pumps IF I have to is NAPA Performance PS fluid, it is thinner and much better than others, but it still doesn't beat ATF.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i have been putting motor oil in my power steering system since i got it. it is cheaper than atf or power steering fluid.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by Arde
Same here, it's my understanding that Dodge power steering pumps wont last with ATF.
lol No clue how long my truck has had ATF 4 in it. I only recently started putting Chrysler PS fluid in it.
Originally Posted by merc225hp

My truck has had ATF+4 in it for power steering fluid from day one and its still working just fine, 17 years on the same pump pretty good if you ask me.
^That.
Originally Posted by beginningjockey

As far as ATF in the power steering pump, it will NEVER hurt any Dodge or Ford power steering pump prior to 2003, in fact, it is recommended by both Ford and Dodge if you dig deep enough. Ford had a nasty problem of pump seals failing in the late 80s and early 90s, the problem wasn't the seal, but that people used PS fluid, not ATF. Put ATF in it, no matter how bad the leak, and it will seal up, given enough time.

I've been running ATF in the Dodge PS pump now, huge difference in temperatures and feel. I put DexMerc ATF in it, as that's what I was using in the tranny (BTW use ATF+3 in a 1996 Dodge Ram unless you know what you are doing), and the feel in the steering was awesome, it made sooo much less noise, and stayed waaaaay cooler.

So don't worry about putting ATF in your PS pump, it will NOT hurt it, PS fluid WILL hurt it. The only PS fluid I use in my pumps IF I have to is NAPA Performance PS fluid, it is thinner and much better than others, but it still doesn't beat ATF.
I'll bet you that most 1996 Dodge Rams are using ATF+4 as +4 superseded +3 for obvious reasons.

And you actually have awesome steering feel? Mine is heavy. lmao

Old 07-05-2013, 12:57 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Um, HOW is that even possible?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Um, HOW is that even possible?
From the article:

As bizarre as this sounds, accumulating hail is not uncommon in the High Plains.
Northeast New Mexico sits in what meteorologists call "Hail Alley", a swath from southeast Wyoming and northeast Colorado to northeast New Mexico and the Texas Panhandle, where large hail falls on average at least three days a year. A common late spring and early summer occurrence is accumulating hail, sometimes to the magnitude of a couple of inches, in northeast Colorado, often including the Denver metro.

This is due, in part, due to higher elevation. The less depth of warm air for a hailstone to fall through, the greater the chance of it reaching the ground before melting. Santa Rosa, N.M. lies at 4,616 feet above sea level.

I guess reading isn't a skill taught or encouraged in Texass schools.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:01 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
From the article:

I guess reading isn't a skill taught or encouraged in Texass schools.
Meh, didn't scroll down. Just got up a little while ago.

And I was homeschooed you ***.

Either way, the other question that remains is how does anything survive that?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:08 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

^ the answer is, it doesn't survive it.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Meh, didn't scroll down. Just got up a little while ago.

And I was homeschooed you ***.

Either way, the other question that remains is how does anything survive that?

Wow. That explains everything.

Just FYI - The earth isn't 6,000 years old

Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

^ Your right VDub. It's over 6000 yrs old.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread