2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
lol No clue how long my truck has had ATF 4 in it. I only recently started putting Chrysler PS fluid in it.

^That.

I'll bet you that most 1996 Dodge Rams are using ATF+4 as +4 superseded +3 for obvious reasons.

And you actually have awesome steering feel? Mine is heavy. lmao
Mine is light as a feather. Try draining your PS fluid, drop in ATF, feel the difference. Make sure you get ALL the ps fluid out or it will shorten the life of the ATF... But even with the ATF in the dodge pump, Dodge power steering doesn't beat Fords 8th and 9th gen power steering. Seriously...

And as far as ATF+4, I hate that stuff... If I have to use it I always mix DexMerc with it, 1qt. Dex to 4qts ATF4. ATF runs hotter and is much thinner than ATF3, that's why I never use it.

Just to prove that, in our GC, the transmission is going. I changed filter and fluid, put in ATF4 full syn, 4 qts, then 1qt full syn DexMerc, it ran WAAAAAY smoother and cooler. Why? DexMerc prevents slippage on a worn out tranny, when MIXED with the recommended fluid for the tranny.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:21 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
Mine is light as a feather. Try draining your PS fluid, drop in ATF, feel the difference. Make sure you get ALL the ps fluid out or it will shorten the life of the ATF... But even with the ATF in the dodge pump, Dodge power steering doesn't beat Fords 8th and 9th gen power steering. Seriously...

And as far as ATF+4, I hate that stuff... If I have to use it I always mix DexMerc with it, 1qt. Dex to 4qts ATF4. ATF runs hotter and is much thinner than ATF3, that's why I never use it.

Just to prove that, in our GC, the transmission is going. I changed filter and fluid, put in ATF4 full syn, 4 qts, then 1qt full syn DexMerc, it ran WAAAAAY smoother and cooler. Why? DexMerc prevents slippage on a worn out tranny, when MIXED with the recommended fluid for the tranny.
Mine is heavy because I made it that way. lol And not all of us like light steering. I actually hate it. My 76 has light "tractor" steering and I hate it. Zero road feel at all. And my truck actually a good amount of ATF4 in the PS. I used the Mopar PS fluid as a top off fluid. Maybe you should just get your trans rebuild? lol Why would Mopar use a "substandard" fluid to replace a fluid? Makes no sense to me.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Rebuild the trans? Got $3000 to throw at it? It's still moving and that's all that matters right now, cuz the engine could blow a rod any minute, these 3.3 chryslers are notorious for that.

I like my steering to require v i r t u a l l y no effort at all. That's why it's called power steering. You really out to drive our Ford someday just for the kicks - you'd love it. Trust me. You'd love everything but the Ford part.

DODGE FORUM: BLOCKING THE WORD V I R T U A L IS A DUMB THING. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Wow. That explains everything.

Just FYI - The earth isn't 6,000 years old
Oh shut up. Aren't you from the north or something and a transplant?

I know the Earth is old, my point was how does anything that MAN has made, ie cars, houses, etc, survive a hail storm like that. I mean, obviously it does, but I would wager not without taking a serious amount of damage. You can't have a carport everywhere to protect you car. Can't take one with you to walmart when hell breaks loose..

Old 07-05-2013, 01:25 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

^walmart sells carports... hurry up and buy one lmao...

Old 07-05-2013, 01:25 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
Rebuild the trans? Got $3000 to throw at it? It's still moving and that's all that matters right now, cuz the engine could blow a rod any minute, these 3.3 chryslers are notorious for that.

I like my steering to require *******ly no effort at all. That's why it's called power steering. You really out to drive our Ford someday just for the kicks - you'd love it. Trust me. You'd love everything but the Ford part.
Okay, you lost me at 3.3 Chrysler. Then I realized you're talking about a Caravan, not a Grand Cherokee. lol I agree with the Caravans ****ty engines. lol

"Powersteering" aka that thing that makes you weak. lol I like powersteering, just not over boosted steering like a damn tractor. And what's special about your Ford?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:28 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

You'd expect it being such a big truck that it would be alot harder to handle, have a longer stopping distance, and when towing have much more difficult steering, but it can stop as fast as a car when towing 18k with no trailer brakes (BTW, I found out it was just a loose wire - got that fixed). Steering is awesome when towing, hardly any compensation needed when fighting wind, unlike the Dodge steering, and it handles like a car. Very easy - I love the feel better than our 2nd gen Dodge. But being it is soo long, it is unfit for general farm work - and that is where the Dodge comes into play. The Ford is king of towing though, no questions asked.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

I don't like light steering. lol My steering gets light in my Ram when I'm driving it hard, it's annoying. RPMs get above 3k and the steering gets airy.

And FWIW, the brakes on my 76 will put you in the dash. I still haven't slammed them to see how quick it will stop, kinda scared. lol

Old 07-05-2013, 01:52 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Maybe walmarts in New Mexico should have covered parking.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Brakes SHOULD be able to put you into the dash. Both our Dodge and our Ford can do that, the amount of effort on the pedal to do that is what differs.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread