2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:45 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driveshafts can be STINKING nasty some days...

I got the Dodge driving on Friday (I do have a video, internet has been too slow to upload it yet), got approx 2 mi, drivetrain locked up entirely. Got out, missing a u-joint bearing cap on the joint right after the carrier bearing (yes I've got the 2500 LD shaft), got a ride back home and grabbed my spare ujoint. Got there and couldn't get the darn clip onto the ujoint this time, went home and brought the air compressor out, ground the inside of the yoke where the c clips ride a little, they popped right in. babied it home with one headlight (we weren't planning to be out when it was dark). Next morning, I checked the ujoint, looked okay. Was gone that day til about 6pm. Took it out on the road heading south (BTW these are all gravel roads, which is really good when it locks up cuz I can slide on the rocks without damaging anything), get about 2 mi and the same thing happens again - this time on the yoke that I DIDN'T grind down. So I ground it down this morning, eating bfast right now then gonna head out stick the ujoint in, and test drive it again. If it stays, I'll do a couple more rounds, then take it out on the highway today or tomorrow. I'm loving it though, LOTS of power (more than the old engine EVER had), and the short throw shifter on the NV4500 is AWESOME (BTW, it's a Chevy shifter lol! it works...). Only trouble I really have with the transmission is it likes to stick in reverse occasionally - I think it's just a tight synchro (all gears synchroed on this one).

On another note, the GC tranny is grinding and a whinin away - but still going forward, 198.5K miles on it now, hoping to make 200K, a feat for a GC engine and tranny We are being really easy on it now, trying to make it last. Now we are looking at our options. I don't like the idea of putting a expensive rebuilt transmission in it, too much money to pour down it. So we are looking at some 2500 and 3500 SRW 4 door cab trucks, on my list to call is a 2001 Dodge Cummins 5.9L, a 2001 Chevy DuraMax 6.6L, and a 2001 Ford F350 Powerstroke 7.3L.

I really like the Dcrap alot, its the LB7, the duramax that didn't have many problems (other than a faulty injector/fuel filter design that is readily fixed), has the Allison 5spd auto.

I was also looking at a 2002 Chevy 2500 8.1L V8 Vortec, but it had too many miles on it.

But if you have any suggestions for trucks within 150miles of zip code 52544 (no that isn't my zip code either), I'd be happy to hear. Have to be under 125K, and under $14000, have to be 4wd and ext/4dr cab.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/3913507561.html

I'm drooling... Too bad it's a dually!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
Driveshafts can be STINKING nasty some days...

I got the Dodge driving on Friday (I do have a video, internet has been too slow to upload it yet), got approx 2 mi, drivetrain locked up entirely. Got out, missing a u-joint bearing cap on the joint right after the carrier bearing (yes I've got the 2500 LD shaft), got a ride back home and grabbed my spare ujoint. Got there and couldn't get the darn clip onto the ujoint this time, went home and brought the air compressor out, ground the inside of the yoke where the c clips ride a little, they popped right in. babied it home with one headlight (we weren't planning to be out when it was dark). Next morning, I checked the ujoint, looked okay. Was gone that day til about 6pm. Took it out on the road heading south (BTW these are all gravel roads, which is really good when it locks up cuz I can slide on the rocks without damaging anything), get about 2 mi and the same thing happens again - this time on the yoke that I DIDN'T grind down. So I ground it down this morning, eating bfast right now then gonna head out stick the ujoint in, and test drive it again. If it stays, I'll do a couple more rounds, then take it out on the highway today or tomorrow. I'm loving it though, LOTS of power (more than the old engine EVER had), and the short throw shifter on the NV4500 is AWESOME (BTW, it's a Chevy shifter lol! it works...). Only trouble I really have with the transmission is it likes to stick in reverse occasionally - I think it's just a tight synchro (all gears synchroed on this one).

On another note, the GC tranny is grinding and a whinin away - but still going forward, 198.5K miles on it now, hoping to make 200K, a feat for a GC engine and tranny We are being really easy on it now, trying to make it last. Now we are looking at our options. I don't like the idea of putting a expensive rebuilt transmission in it, too much money to pour down it. So we are looking at some 2500 and 3500 SRW 4 door cab trucks, on my list to call is a 2001 Dodge Cummins 5.9L, a 2001 Chevy DuraMax 6.6L, and a 2001 Ford F350 Powerstroke 7.3L.

I really like the Dcrap alot, its the LB7, the duramax that didn't have many problems (other than a faulty injector/fuel filter design that is readily fixed), has the Allison 5spd auto.

I was also looking at a 2002 Chevy 2500 8.1L V8 Vortec, but it had too many miles on it.

But if you have any suggestions for trucks within 150miles of zip code 52544 (no that isn't my zip code either), I'd be happy to hear. Have to be under 125K, and under $14000, have to be 4wd and ext/4dr cab.
Duramax motors are beasts IMO. Only none Dodge product id invest in! Now if GM would just put a real axle under them would be pretty sweet! 7.3's are underpowered from what I understand stock. Links to any of these trucks?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Get the Dodge.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:43 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

And also get poor fuel economy... It's a V10. I haven't been able to find a low miles Cummins, and I know the V10 has some higher miles, but it just had the tranny and tcase rebuilt.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Jigabop
Champion

new transmission lol...must be an automatic

NV4500HD or NV5600 would be my trans of choice...both should have a NP241DHD xfer case.

for those wondering if they hold up...mine is now holding an estimated 600+hp now...

stock automatics suck and can't hold up to any power mods on a diesel at all...

if you get an auto, replace the trans ASAP with a built auto.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:50 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Yes it is a auto, and the trans/torque converter have been built properly for the Cummins. This truck has to be auto cuz Mom and Dad don't want a stick for the daily driver.

As far as manual goes, NV transmissions will not handle 600+hp well at all - and there really isn't anything one can do for it. What you want is a ZF5 or ZF6 with built in oil cooler and pressure lube - they make adapter plates to bolt them to a Cummins, and they can handle the power just fine, once rebuilt properly.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

That second Cummins looks nice. Even with the race graphics.

Quick Reply: The Official 2nd Gen RAM Forum OT thread